One rifle to rule them all....

mick miller

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using the Hornet in .22 a lot on rabbits over the last few years. I have yet to waste any full size rabbit though I did shoot two young ones about half grown and it wastes them! I use 45 grn Seirra Hornet Varminter bullets in the main and head shoot from very short range out to the limits on the day. Hare can be head neck or chest shot and still good for the table, rabbits don't even have to be sat just right- just plug them in the head. I have actually wounded two bunnies head shooting with the hornet when the shot stuck low on the jaw area, both were quickly finished off by hand as they were going nowhere (one I wasn't even aware was alive till I picked it up).

The big issue with the .22 hornet is many make hearsay claims of that which it will and wont do. The .22 lr is the most important tool in the bunny shooters safe though don't loose it from your cert!

have to agree

unless you have lots of money tied up in it (in which case sell the fancy one and get a battered old CZ/BRNO/Finfire or any other .22 BA!) I would always have a slot for one.

nothing cheaper to feed, quieter when needed, noisy when not, good for birds, rabbits, rats, foxes, humane dispatch etc etc

other than that a .22hornet or .222 will be cheaper to run than anything else and as quiet or fast as you want to load it

since I got my .222 I have not shot a single fox with my WMR (which was my gun of choice for urban work)

shot plenty of foxes with the .22lr though!

I put in for a variation .22 to .222. As I explained, the types of shooting I do the FAC air can match the .22 for knock down on rabbits if I need stealth without large lumps of lead pinging off into the distance. Anything else its the hmr. In two years the .22 has been out of the cabinet once! As far as I can see, its redundant for my type of shooting.

Thanks for all the thoughts chaps.