The Crown Shoot 2013/14

Paul223

Phil made the decision to leave the nant out this morning, in the car park, and I'm told it was reaffirmed at lunch when he asked around for the general consensus.

After 2 weeks rest it'll be worth doing next week and the birds will be less skittish.

I'm think Phil did a good job of running the day, it's not easy.

Next week should be fun!

:good: :good: Good call i'd say :| I was more than happy to walk up from there with a couple of extremely sporting, high, fast birds :|:yes: :yes:

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil made the decision to leave the nant out this morning, in the car park, and I'm told it was reaffirmed at lunch when he asked around for the general consensus.

After 2 weeks rest it'll be worth doing next week and the birds will be less skittish.

I'm think Phil did a good job of running the day, it's not easy.

Next week should be fun!

I seem to remember that we would be doing the nant last, then it was mentioned that we had permission to shoot the ducks. I remember Phil saying that time would be an issue but don't remember him saying the nant was off. Further more it was suggested that we move up 4 pegs after the first drive. Rob commented "he was happy with this as it would have put him on peg 8 in the nant, but would stitch Mark (me) up my putting him on peg 1". So as far as I was aware the nant was still on.

During lunch, some of the guns/beaters aired a view that they didn't want to do the nant due to the weather.

I do think Phil did a good job of running today. He showed good leadership with no hold ups. We had shot the 110, ff and Aled's before 13:00hrs. Welldone Phil :good:

He ran it that well we were back in the pub by 14:30hrs :whistling:

Well as said not the biggest bag due to it being end of the season and cocks only, but we did have some great sport and most people left happy with a smile on their faces. The decision was made to give the Nant a miss due to it being shot 3 times in 8 days and not many people were overly happy beating it as it would of been a death trap. Robs team did get to shoot the 110, fish farm then the duck. If the guns are trying to hit 300 yard ducks it's not surprising only 2 were shot.

Any way thanks for the support and co-operation by all on the day and thanks for saying I did a good job. I can honestly say I don't envy Paul, not because he has a tiny member or a dodgy hair cut but because of the awkwardness of some on the day making your life so much harder than it needs to be. As already said next week should be interesting.

To conclude my experience of running a shoot for the day I can honestly say it is stressful, I found it hard to please everyone, and quite a worry hoping all the beaters have gone where you sent them and not where they think they should go. After this week I can say I have more respect for Paul and would like to commend him on all he does each week.

To all the folks at the Crown Shoot.

It is the last shoot of the season and hope you have a fantastic day and hope that i will see you all next year.It's been very emotional to say the least especially hamburger hill.

But most of all i enjoyed myself and so did my dog Meg.

She told me that she wanted to do a little beating this weekend but she is having lady's problems at the mo and all the male dogs at the shoot would be jumping on her.......So she's having bed rest and a cup of soup locked away with a Chasity belt on he he

Have a guden

Neil

To all the folks at the Crown Shoot.

It is the last shoot of the season and hope you have a fantastic day and hope that i will see you all next year.It's been very emotional to say the least especially hamburger hill.

But most of all i enjoyed myself and so did my dog Meg.

She told me that she wanted to do a little beating this weekend but she is having lady's problems at the mo and all the male dogs at the shoot would be jumping on her.......So she's having bed rest and a cup of soup locked away with a Chasity belt on he he

Have a guden

Neil

Any excuse :whistling:

Thanks for the kind words Neil :good:

Well today was the last and over all we had a great season :good:

We have met some fantastic people (many of hear) Grasshopper with his lucky hat. Tam and Lynell came to be abused for charity, sorry about the evening. Jerry T had his first driver shoot with us. ayano3 started a new tradishion on the crown, Sloe gin and champagne for eleven's :drinks: & "Irish car bombs" in the evening :ernyha: . Archie1234 chafured by myself for his day. BRNDL a pleasure to watch you work your dog in the "Nant". & Mr Potter who shot as my guest and told stories of how he doesn't dye his hair :whistling:

Today JC was in charge and a different approach to the drives. We started with "Aled's" then the "FF" 11's the "Gully" finishing off with the "Nant". It's the end of the season and not that many birds about, but as we were shooting cocks only the bag was going to be small. Most of the birds that got up were hens :ninja: and the £5 fine for shooting them stopped MOST shooting. One guest commented that he was a guest and his host (who wasn't there) would pay the fine :no:

We had shot all drives by 13:00 and walking out of the "Nant" when my little pup started yelping and yelping :o She would have been 100 yards ahead and running behind a fallen tree with the other dogs and stated yelping. I haven't run that fast for a long time (those of you who know me know I am not an athlete). Anyway after a quick check over she was over my shoulders on the way to the truck. Once in the back of the land rover another quick check found a slight cut on he back leg but she still wasn't right. A trip to the vet was in order :( The vet couldn't find anything untoward and said it was probably a muscle strain, gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and a course of pills. All for the grand total of £58. A small price to pay or the reassurance of the good ladies and my bundle of joy. Thank you to those who were there in the field to help out with checking her over. She is laying down besides me now on the sofa watching the tv.

I would like to thank everyone for a great season, especially Pall223 for running the shoot, Magman for helping me with my shooting and providing some great laughs, Philmypower for being the but of many jokes and wind ups and the Good Lady for supporting me and baking cakes, brownies and cookies.

See you next season.

Mark

And a great finish to the season, strong winds made for very challenging birds, unsure of exact numbers for both shots and birds but think we ended on 8 !! For 108 shots ha!

You can add 2 to that count, I picked a dead one from by the hall and there was a pricked one in the woods.

Todays bag 10ish

As already said great end to the season and the weather held (just)

If my memory is right the lad (Jay)shot the first bird of the season this year and i shot the last :lol: had 3 good birds today and missed a sitter :whistling:

Thanks to all friends new and old for a another year on the Crown Shoot :good:

Well today was the last and over all we had a great season :good:

We have met some fantastic people (many of hear) Grasshopper with his lucky hat.

Hear hear,i've thoroughly enjoyed my 2 days with the ladies and gents from the Crown Shoot :yes:

Big thanks to Rob (Magman) for the invites and for giving up his gun

Paul 223 for letting me shoot his Foxes :ninja: and for giving up his gun which got me my highest ever Pheasant :good:

And to you Mark and yep,to your good lady for the cakes and brownies...best part of the day :lol:

Apart from the traumatic experience the evening after the shoot we were at (i don't know if I will ever recover :lol: ) :blush: :blush: :blush: We thoroughly enjoyed the day as ever & hitting the high fast birds over the Nant that day was a bonus (if i was on a different peg on Aled's I am sure I would have connected B) Hope to be there next year :good:

As already said great end to the season and the weather held (just)

If my memory is right the lad (Jay)shot the first bird of the season this year and i shot the last :lol: had 3 good birds today and missed a sitter :whistling:

Thanks to all friends new and old for a another year on the Crown Shoot :good:

Did anyone hear about me shooting the first partridge :yahoo: No bloody partridge pot this year though :sad1:

Hear hear,i've thoroughly enjoyed my 2 days with the ladies and gents from the Crown Shoot :yes:

Big thanks to Rob (Magman) for the invites and for giving up his gun

Paul 223 for letting me shoot his Foxes :ninja: and for giving up his gun which got me my highest ever Pheasant :good:

And to you Mark and yep,to your good lady for the cakes and brownies...best part of the day :lol:

No problem mate, the good lady says tank you for the complements.

ps. your high pheasant is still talked about :good:

Apart from the traumatic experience the evening after the shoot we were at (i don't know if I will ever recover :lol: ) :blush: :blush: :blush: We thoroughly enjoyed the day as ever & hitting the high fast birds over the Nant that day was a bonus (if i was on a different peg on Aled's I am sure I would have connected B) Hope to be there next year :good:

You loved it :lol::lol::lol:

Hopefully see you again soon :good:

Glad you've all enjoyed it folks

I think we've done well with one crop completely failed and two more which have been so poor, we've missed the top crop in the nant as it holds those runners, and when birds from it are presented right they are unhitable by all bar the very best shots

Some hard work to do this year coming, but if we get done what I'd like to get done next year will be superb!