Computer problem

Dead-Eyed Duck

Help wanted please from any computer literats out there.

Sometimes I am unable to connect to the internet, and at other times (such as when on PW) etc it is very, very slow.

I have a wireless conection, and use an Origo Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem Router.

However, if I disconnect the mains supply from this thingy, and then reconnect, then the internet connection works OK - usually.

Any ideas at all please?

If I have to throw the thingy thing in the bin and get another, then this is no problem, it's just that I don't know what to do.

Help :good::lol::no: :(

Don

Deadeye, have you got anti-spyware/malware installed? such programs as Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy and a decent Firewall, not the Windows version as this is vunerable (Zone Alarm Free version is excellent). You need a good Anti Virus program such as AVG as well.

If you have not got the above, just Google them, they are all free, then download and install and run all programs to get rid of the **** off your PC.

If you have got the above, then one thing you might like to try is updating the firmware on your modem/router, you will need to find the makers website and search for the firmware, BE VERY CAREFUL YOU GET THE CORRECT FIRMWARE FOR YOUR MODEM/ROUTER if not you will KILL the router.

If you've had the modem/router for a above a year they can start dropping the internet connection which usually means it's on it's way out.

Try the basics first, then look to update the firmware, just be very careful you match the correct firmware to your modem/router.

I have just gone wireless and what a pain in the '***** it is.

It is handy because I can sit anywhere with the laptop and use it but I can't work out how to encrypt it and at one point it locked me out and I had to reset it!

I'll have to get rid of the spyware with those free programmes.

Hmm, all good advice (aside from routers packing up after a year). However, if you have a problem which is fixed by resetting your router then I wouldn't attribute the issues to spyware/malware. I would be more inclined to think the router was having some kind of memory leak type issue (longer its on the worse it gets).

Making sure you are up to date with windows patches, running a good free virus scan (www.avg.com), and some spyware/malware tools (try www.prevx1.com) is always a good idea.

Origo is the same as safecom (www.safecom.cn) - Have a read here http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=14 and have a look at http://safecom.cn/code/support/tech_support.aspx to look up your device (should have a product code on the bottom).

Since you have a NAT router there, assuming you have not opened ports to the internet, you don't need a firewall on your PC as your router is doing that for you.

Again personal preference but I hate zone alarm with a passion. If you must run one have a look here http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm for a guide :blush:

GL!

Pin my good friend,

with reference to them "packing up after a year", let me explain my reasons:

Windows will have numerous updates during this period.

Which means the routers original firmware, may have some compatibility issues (i.e don't work)

Manf. release latest gizmo, so ********* to any support for products which we made a year ago.

Some ******* decides that he has discovered the latest wireless config and we should all bin any previous kit we bought, because it's you've guessed it ********.

They are all made in China, I'll leave that one for everyone to decide.

Point of argument, in the computer world they move the goalposts approx every 2-3 months, your latest kit which works wonders new, 12 months down the line is out dated and no longer has any manf. support and is not compatible with the latest technology.

Bingo, it don't work anymore

A little off topic but I have to respond.

I work in the industry and I have done for some years now. I deal with all manner of kit and vendors, from dial in kit to switches and routers to server technology, mainframe and storage area networks.

I have about 15 years experience in varied fields relating to support and design, and I have never heard as much nonsense in all my life.

Yes the IT world moves quickly, and I am painfully aware of the problems with life cycle management. I do however have to take issue with generalised comments regards functionality of kit like routers becoming obsolete within a year.

These devices are incredibly simple routers operating a store and forward mechanism for the most part, others run **ix like operating systems which either run as RFC1483 compliant bridges or perhaps run a routeing daemon like gated in some cases. They don't have anything complicated to do and are not complicated in design. The protocols they implement have not really changed in years, save 802.11x extensions as the only notable exception.

Routers do not slow down because they get old, just as computers do not slow down as they get old. As I pointed out, being on the latest stable firmware or software release is a good and advisable strategy.

These kinds of comments are the kind passed about by people who have no clue what they are talking about.

Like Pin I'm also a techie nerd (network engineer) working on some very high end enterprise kit.

Windows updates don't cause routers to hang... I'd be updating the firmware on the device first.

Most causes of home user routers failing are

1 - Firmware issues

2 - Heating / cooling issues of the device

3 - ISP or line issues

Sorry Pin I do not wish to offend, ??? but after experiencing similar problems my router dropping it's connection more frequently than I'd prefer. I looked around the forums to discover a solution, which most pointed in the direction of updating the firmware. I found the manf. website but discovered that no updates were available as this model had a short lifespan. The router may well function in this state for years but it is very annoying that I cannot upgrade it to give it more stability. But I'm guilty of passing on duff info about it lasting around a year, because unfortunately I had read the said forums that this would be the case once they started dropping their connections frequently, which is obviously wrong. So much for forums then, :yes::yes::lol:

garyb:

I'd say it was :-

1) Users randomly messing with things they don't understand

2) Users randomly upgrading firmware, usually with the wrong model's firmware

3) Users randomly messing with things they don't understand

4) Hardware failure

:yes:

Noddy:

Fair comment mate, fair play to you :yes: