Post arrived this morning...

spandit

...with a certain brown envelope :)

After all the shenanigans in getting the licence, I have been granted .22LR, .17HMR and .223. Not open for any calibre, but that's OK for the moment whilst I learn. It mentions AOLQ and expanding ammunition but no mention of high seat, which is good. Fox is explicitly mentioned "subject to the suitability of the calibre" which means I can use a rimfire if appropriate (and I know that's a whole other subject)

Phoned my FEO to thank him and admitted I was still confused as to why they would grant me a .223 but not a .243. He didn't really know, I don't think it was his decision. Happy to serve my time on the .223 anyway (once I get one!)

Your phone call to the FEO will go a long way. Back it up with a thank you letter to the Firearms Dept. and you will be in good books for any variations and renewals.

It was one of the reasons I didn't push the .243 too hard. I'll write to them later this month once our phone is connected