What accuracy can I expect?

spandit

If I was you I would try those eley and winchester, if you get a better grouping with either, take the cci back and ask if you could trade them for which ever your rifle prefers, no point in just using them, trade them for something that your rifle likes,

That's a good plan. I've got 90 left in an open brick anyway but I'll see if he'll take back the other 300, assuming I get better results with the other ammo

I would give RWS subs a go as well if you can source them locally. I have put nearly every available sub sonic round through my Finfire and tbh its not too ammo fussy but nothing touches the accuracy of the RWS. My brother has a CZ 452 and he has found the same thing, the RWS subs are the most accurate through his rifle as well. They may be a little slower than some of the other subs but at the end of the day accuracy is paramount IMO. Try some, thats not to say your rifle will like them or how they will cycle in your semi auto though :unsure:

ATB,

Pat

A 2" group at 50 yards is not good. On that basis you should not be shooting rabbits but sorting out your accuracy. A good rule of thumb is that the maximum distance you should shoot at a rabbit is the distance you can get EVERY bullet in a 1" circle, in your case probably 25 yards!!

My guess is that you are using unsuitable ammunition and I don't understand why you are continuing to waste your time with it and not follow the very good advice given to you to return that ammunition and do what you should have done in the first place and obtain 50 or 100 rounds each of a number of different types and find which suits your gun.

I will get shot down in flames for saying it but it seems like another case of someone with too little knowledge being let loose with a firearm when they don't even know the basics, sorry if that sounds harsh, and I do thank you for asking for advice in this forum so please don't take my rather grumpy response too personally. You will learn like most of us, the slow hard way by making mistakes.

Don't even consider shooting living things until you have sorted out your gun and ammunition. Stick to paper. Enjoy your shooting, there is a lot to learn. How to properly clean your rifle is something you need to understand from the start.

Update.... and now I see you have a .223 to go with the .22 ......... oh well.

That's a rude reply, the guy was only asking if it should be better or if perhaps there was something amiss. I could put anyone onto combos that couldn't do 2" at 50yds in the hands of an expert.

I would give RWS subs a go as well if you can source them locally.

My RFD is getting some in, he took back the 300 CCI but I've got about 60 to waste, plus the Eley and remaining Winchester. Oddly, the Winchester were grouping high yesterday when I shot, but my friend was grouping low with them (through my rifle). The other brands were more or less on bull

Edited by spandit

That's a rude reply, the guy was only asking if it should be better or if perhaps there was something amiss. I could put anyone onto combos that couldn't do 2" at 50yds in the hands of an expert.

It was a little brusque but I hope he'll be pleased to know that I haven't shot the .223 yet and don't intend to until I'm happy with the .22LR. The fact that was getting sub 1-inch groups at 50 yards with a change in ammo shows that both me and the rifle are capable of good accuracy, albeit from a prone position. Once my new stock of subs arrives, I'll get the scope properly dialled in and start practicing from standing. Going to place some targets out in the fields to practice on - possibly apples on sticks

I won't be going out on my own to begin with anyway as want someone there to help me prep a rabbit, should I kill one.

Let me tell you few candidates on a DSC1 test pass through the 4" group on the nominated zero target then onto the deer and rest of the test first go. There is nothing wrong with the guy using a .223 rem or anything else for that matter if he is safe and shoots within his limits with his kit. now if you are to believe forums every darn novice now shoots 1" @ 100 yds from the get go, thing is I don't meet them much doing that consistantly in all the time I have shot

I did not think it was THAT rude Kent. The OP did, in his opening post say that he thought his accuracy was "good enough for rabbits", and I disagree with that sentiment. He also implied that he would carry on using duff ammunition despite advice to the contrary. Frankly I think the seller was more interested in a sale than offering good advice.

However..... Subsequent post show Spandit to be a sensible chap and I wish him well.

I do stand by my sentence:

"I will get shot down in flames for saying it but it seems like another case of someone with too little knowledge being let loose with a firearm when they don't even know the basics, sorry if that sounds harsh, and I do thank you for asking for advice in this forum so please don't take my rather grumpy response too personally. You will learn like most of us, the slow hard way by making mistakes."

Spandit has the sense to ask for advice, how many others don't?

Enjoy your shooting Spandit.

The OP did, in his opening post say that he thought his accuracy was "good enough for rabbits", and I disagree with that sentiment. He also implied that he would carry on using duff ammunition despite advice to the contrary. Frankly I think the seller was more interested in a sale than offering good advice.

I was thinking that a rabbit's head was about the size of my group, as I think we've established, if I'd really thought that was good enough, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Regarding the ammunition, I didn't know you could take it back again and at the time didn't know if if was me, the rifle or the ammunition to blame.

I think you might be right about the seller but subsequent groups with different ammo show that I got a cracking deal

Enjoy your shooting Spandit.

I shall, thank you!

Got my new ammo today - RWS HP subs. First impressions not as accurate as the Winchester but will do a side by side comparison in case I'm a bit off today (and it was windy). It's quite greasy - makes firing quite smoky. No misfires/misfeeds since I cleaned the rifle anyway and even if I'm not clover leafing (yet) I'm in bunny head territory. Just need to practice from standing now, or leaning on a fence (which I can do safely on my home range!)

Got my new ammo today - RWS HP subs. First impressions not as accurate as the Winchester but will do a side by side comparison in case I'm a bit off today (and it was windy). It's quite greasy - makes firing quite smoky. No misfires/misfeeds since I cleaned the rifle anyway and even if I'm not clover leafing (yet) I'm in bunny head territory. Just need to practice from standing now, or leaning on a fence (which I can do safely on my home range!)

Testing ammo and practicing shooting are really two different things. To test ammo you want to try and eliminate as many variables as possible. Still air and as firm and stable position as possible and a decent range, 50-70 yards or so. Shoot two or three 5 shot groups with each type of ammunition you have from this perfect set-up, then have a good look at them, see if the holes are round or slightly oval, measure the group. Write on the target card what ammunition, range, rifle etc. These groups may be inches away from your aiming mark, every type will shoot to a different place, all you're interested in is the group size. (and if it will cycle your rifle) Try every available brand you can get your hands on.

Once you have some data, gathered from a level playing field, you can eliminate the non starters, those rounds that won't cycle the action (save them for when you buy your bolt action .22) and those that produce flyers or loose groups.

Once you are left with two or three possible candidates you can think about other factors besides accuracy, cost, availability, knock down power, velocity, wind effect, clean shooting etc.

Once you have the ammunition that best suits your rifle, then is the time to zero the scope at your chosen range, maybe 55 yards, that will give a usable range from about 20 -60 yards with no significant hold over/under.

Now you know what your rifle/ammunition is capable of in ideal conditions you need to practice, if there are any flyers they're are down to you. You also really need to stick to the same ammunition once you have found the right one. Only after hundred of rounds at various ranges will you get the feel for the right amount of hold over or how much to aim off for the wind.

In more recent times I have ditched much group shooting to test .22 ammo and now prefer shooting multiple target cards ( little spots on a4 paper) 1 shot at each dot. Comparing sheet to sheet is so much easier and it takes the flukey good group out the equation (many pay too much attention to one good group)one swallow don't make it summer. Just work out distances from centre and averages

shooting from field stances is great practice, try it at double the range you might shoot at in the field to really hone those skills up