Crafted text that justifies the reasons to control Vermin

sye10

Hi All,

I'm trying to gain a shooting permission on some government protected land and need to justify my case as to why I need to shoot the vermin on this land.

There are millions of crows and a fair few pheasants, rabbits and pigeons causing problems.

So my question to you all, have you come across some good text justifying the reasons to control vermin and pheasants to help my case?

I've tried approaching BASC unfortunately to no avail.

Your comments or links to sites would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Simon

To whom did you speak at BASC? This is their stock in trade and I`m very surprised that you did not get a sensible answer.

The last time I asked a broadly similar question I received a wad of appropriate leaflets and was directed to the particular spot on their website where I could find the information I required.

I suuggest you pm David BASC on here.

To whom did you speak at BASC? This is their stock in trade and I`m very surprised that you did not get a sensible answer.

The last time I asked a broadly similar question I received a wad of appropriate leaflets and was directed to the particular spot on their website where I could find the information I required.

I suuggest you pm David BASC on here.

Thanks for your comments - I'll chase up David

What problems are they causing and why is the land protected. Pheasants are game not vermin so check up on the general licence..

There is a wildlife park very central to the land hence the order/act.

As there are no foxes over here pheasants are spreading very quickly and causing the farmers a real head ache.

Edited by sye10

Tenant farmers normally have a right to control pests. What they're unlikely to have is the shooting rights for game. So controlling rabbits, pigeons and other pests shouldn't be a problem unless their tenancy agreement specifically doesn't allow it. Unlikely as the tenant could then make the landowner control pests.

Unfortunately with Natural England not enforcing the pest act (I think it's that one), rabbit clearance isn't as easy any more in this sort of situation

Tenant farmers normally have a right to control pests. What they're unlikely to have is the shooting rights for game. So controlling rabbits, pigeons and other pests shouldn't be a problem unless their tenancy agreement specifically doesn't allow it. Unlikely as the tenant could then make the landowner control pests.

Unfortunately with Natural England not enforcing the pest act (I think it's that one), rabbit clearance isn't as easy any more in this sort of situation

It's the Pest Act 1954 and to my knowledge no one has ever been prosecuted under the act of not controlling rabbits. However, landowners still have a statutory obligation to do so if they cause a nuisance to neighbors.