Feed sourced, how much to use?

Hi all, I have sourced the barley that I was looking for in 25kg bags for feeding my duck pond and was wondering how much I should use and how regular to feed it?

On my previous pond I carried what feed I could each time I was shooting and that was about it, however this pond is a bit more accessible with a 4x4 and the farmer has kindly offered to help feed it if need be.

The total area including the reeds is about a 1/2 acre.

All thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Here's a photo...hope it works!

image-1.jpg

Edited by The Lawn Ranger

I would start with a couple of buckets of barley in the shallow areas around the edge (if you have them) and then see how quickly it goes. If it goes over night increase the amount until some is left over then cut back a bit. Ideally feed it every afternoon, but I would say every 2-3 days is fine if every day isn't practical, or perhaps set up an automatic feeder. Most importantly, don't over shoot it

Colin is spot on, start with little ammounts and work up, ideally just a wee touch left when u go back to feed the next time.

Must admit i just feed my ponds either once a week or once a fortnight and throw enough barley in as it needs to last.

Might be handy to put a storage drum up there (50 gall barrel or ibc tank etc) to store feed in so u can bring a load in in dry/frosty weather then just walk up to feed, saves u tracking fields every time u want to feed it.

As been said start with a wee bit,and if its going then just keep upping it to suit.Other signs you will be seeing is plenty of feathers and muddying of the water where they are feeding.Feed it whenever you can,and if its weekly put in enough to keep them coming for that time as they will find it no probs in the shallows.Looks a cracking place and should be good for a snipe or two in the rashes.

We have a 45 gallon drum down by our pond with slits cut in the bottom and then pushed in. This is full of barley and after chucking a bit around for a few weeks the ducks just help themselves to it.

Quite useful since we struggle to get down there often enough.

We don't release so these are all wild duck and we had round 50 on there on Sat just gone and there were still 20+ trying to come in.