Plucking machines

Scully

Landowners Mother has asked me to enquire on here if any members have experience of those rotary pluckers which is attached to a drill as advertised in Bushwear catalogue. Our present pheasant plucker (careful!) is retiring as she has had enough ( she gets well paid but dresses birds for most of the shooters who guest in local hotels....her husband is too tight to buy her a plucking machine) so we thought we'd start doing them ourselves. None of us mind doing the odd chicken for dinner but I don't fancy doing more than that. Any advice, experiences appreciated.

Have you asked her son...? (According to the song I'm not a pheasant plucker...)

Being serious, I looked at the rotary drill ones and the thing that put me off is that it only does the easy bits i.e. the breast and back. You have to finish the other wings off by hand and they're the bits that are the hardest on a pheasant. If I had a lot of wildfowl then yeah, it might be a better option given the denser feathering, plus I'd be worrying about ripping the skin on young hen pheasants.

There's a video here if you haven't seen it >>the plucker<<

• 2 weeks later...

I was given one as a Christmas present last year but only used it for the first time yesterday. It does works and is quick when you get it right but it's too cumbersome in a cordless drill IMHO - it's too easy to dig in and tear the skin on a pheasant - partridge faired better. I reckon set up where the plucker is held stationary and you move the bird instead it would work much better - I intend trying that next weekend.

Edited by paul99