Recommend me a wireless colour printer

Thunderbird

Before you buy anything, check how easily and cheaply you can refill the cartridges. All carts are expensive, the only way to keep costs down is refilling. Also, ink dries up if you don't use the printers regularly.

Edited by aris

I have a HP with scanner and it is wireless £39 in the summer at PC World works with my Mac no problem.

When you first get them they hardly have any ink in them have just reloaded mine not so long ago cannot remember how much but don't think it was that expensive..

I have the HP Photosmart B110 series printer, works perfectly with my Macbook, iPhone, iPad and Windows laptop too. You can also email directly to the printer so you don't need any drivers, etc.

Only issue with it is that if it gets turned off then you have to re-enter the wifi key and that is a bloody nuisance, although I think it also supports WPS but i don't use that.

I get replacement cartridges through http://www.7dayshop.com who tend to be really competitive for Genuine cartridges, although i use 'chipped' alternative brands so the ink levels can still be reported. It was defo under £100 and a 4 colour pack of XL inks is £15.

I have an Epson SX425W printer. Can use it wireless and hard wired. It's also a scanner. All this for under £50.

The main question is do you want separate colour carts or one? I wanted separate ones as the most use it gets is black. Yes you can refill carts but they don't last long and will invalidate your warranty. It always seems daft to me to have to buy a complete colour package if only one colour has run out. Other questions to sort out:

1. What throughput of paper is it going to have to deal with?
  2. The make? Some of the cheaper printers may be from obscure brands and so you may not get the support you want.
  3. Are there any other features offered? e.g. Scanner?
  4. What is the quality of photo printing?
  5. Speed of printing?

There are plenty out there so have fun. Personally I would go for a recognised make with plenty of support. Get them to print out a photo for you.

I hope this helps.

Dave.

I have an Epson SX235W running on wireless, it is handy as it does scanning and photocopying as well as printing, don't do much scanning or copying but it is handy to have occasionally and doesn't add much to the cost of the unit.

The printer manufacturers make their money on consumables, in this case ink. I've yet to find a good way of refilling cartridges with ink, most are OK if you use the printer a lot but tend to clog if left unused for a while. Anybody who can recommend a decent ink supplier would be appreciated!!

I have an Epson SX235W running on wireless, it is handy as it does scanning and photocopying as well as printing, don't do much scanning or copying but it is handy to have occasionally and doesn't add much to the cost of the unit.

The printer manufacturers make their money on consumables, in this case ink. I've yet to find a good way of refilling cartridges with ink, most are OK if you use the printer a lot but tend to clog if left unused for a while. Anybody who can recommend a decent ink supplier would be appreciated!!

If you want to literally refill your own cartridges, i've had much success with the kits from JR Inkjet - http://www.jrinkjet.co.uk/

The clogging is a bit of a dilemma with inkjets. In some respect it is better to pay a bit more up-front, and buy a laser printer which doesn't have these issues. I have both an Inkjet which is used almost daily - and also a laser printer which gives best bang for buck with regards to speed and cost per printed page.