RATS !!!!!!!

the poacher

AFTER TRAPPING A FEW RATS A WHILE BACK I THOUGHT RIGHT THATS THEM SORTED ......BUT HOW WRONG I WAS THEY BACK AGAIN, I MOVED A FEW PLANT POTS I HAD UP AGAINST MY FENCE TO MY ASTONISHMENT THEY HAVE DUG UNDER MY FENCE IN QUITE A FEW PLACES PERFECTLY ROUND HOLES LIKE RABBIT RUNS......IVE GOT NO AIR RIFLE !!! SO IVE SET A FEW CAGE TRAPS WITH CHICKEN IN ...I HOPE I HAVE SOME LUCK SORTING THESE HORRIBLE CREATURES OUT....IF NOT ILL HAVE TO GET A AIR GUN FROM SOMEWHERE AND SIT THERE AND TRY AND SORT IT THAT WAY......ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TELL ME COS I WANT TO GET ON TOP OF THESE BEFORE THEY GET OUT OF HAND....PS IVE GOT DOG KENNELS OUT BACK SO I THINK THEY DRAWING TO THE DOG FOOD ECT ..DOGS ARE GOING MAD !!!!

I go with Johnny. Stuff the "nice" traps, get some Big Nippers and make sure they are anchored to the ground as when thay go off there is some serious force involved and you may miss rats because of it. Unfortunately they breed like rabbits so you are right to want to get on top early. If the traps do not work then a bait area, lamp and air gun (rifle or pistol - depends on range) will make a dent in the population - so long as your marksmanship is up to snuff (plently of advice in the Airgunners threads). Given your location poison traps may be poor joss, weapon of last resort, as I guess you are on the edge of the Wales Red Kite population and most poisons are cumulative.

I go with Johnny. Stuff the "nice" traps, get some Big Nippers and make sure they are anchored to the ground as when thay go off there is some serious force involved and you may miss rats because of it. Unfortunately they breed like rabbits so you are right to want to get on top early. If the traps do not work then a bait area, lamp and air gun (rifle or pistol - depends on range) will make a dent in the population - so long as your marksmanship is up to snuff (plently of advice in the Airgunners threads). Given your location poison traps may be poor joss, weapon of last resort, as I guess you are on the edge of the Wales Red Kite population and most poisons are cumulative.

You are a little confused with your understanding or usage of the word cumulative in relation to Rat poison, they are completely the opposite, stop eating it and you get better! The likes of Mercury is a cumulative poison, it builds up and lasts basically forever! :yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

AFTER TRAPPING A FEW RATS A WHILE BACK I THOUGHT RIGHT THATS THEM SORTED ......BUT HOW WRONG I WAS THEY BACK AGAIN, I MOVED A FEW PLANT POTS I HAD UP AGAINST MY FENCE TO MY ASTONISHMENT THEY HAVE DUG UNDER MY FENCE IN QUITE A FEW PLACES PERFECTLY ROUND HOLES LIKE RABBIT RUNS......IVE GOT NO AIR RIFLE !!! SO IVE SET A FEW CAGE TRAPS WITH CHICKEN IN ...I HOPE I HAVE SOME LUCK SORTING THESE HORRIBLE CREATURES OUT....IF NOT ILL HAVE TO GET A AIR GUN FROM SOMEWHERE AND SIT THERE AND TRY AND SORT IT THAT WAY......ANY OTHER IDEAS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TELL ME COS I WANT TO GET ON TOP OF THESE BEFORE THEY GET OUT OF HAND....PS IVE GOT DOG KENNELS OUT BACK SO I THINK THEY DRAWING TO THE DOG FOOD ECT ..DOGS ARE GOING MAD !!!!

Ratty will be there for one or more of 3 reasons.

Food, Drink, Harborage.

So make life difficult for him, proof areas as much as possible, keep food to a minimum and don't store it in the area, keep water to a minimum, ratty needs copious quantities of water.

Easier said than done perhaps, but odds are it will take less time than waiting around with the limited hope you will trap/shoot them all!

Getting rid of ratty is seldom a one method solution!

ATB!

Dekers,

Not so with some of the "new" stuff. Local (The Chilterns) kite minders are still very worried about the effects of these poisons. There was a scare this summer when it was rumoured that some keepers had deliberately poisoned birds as there were an unusually high number of dead birds found by the shooting community. Agree the Warfarin family passes through - as in humans.

Dekers,

Not so with some of the "new" stuff. Local (The Chilterns) kite minders are still very worried about the effects of these poisons. There was a scare this summer when it was rumoured that some keepers had deliberately poisoned birds as there were an unusually high number of dead birds found by the shooting community. Agree the Warfarin family passes through - as in humans.

The New Stuff as you term it, the likes of Coumatetralyl is rapidly metabolised and is only cumulative in that you need a high intake level for it to be fatal, (as with all the anti coagulants, failing that you get better), so it is not a cumulative poison. The likes of Alphachloralose which can be discussed/debated as cumulative is only approved for Indoor use.

Warfarin is hardly ever used by anyone these days, Drodificoum, Bromadiolone, Difenacoum have taken over in all areas except for Squirrel.

We are not talking about anyone deliberately poisoning any birds of prey, used in accordance with instruction and legislation all of the above are safe and will not kill anything except the target species! But what has that got to do with them being cumulative anyway? :good:

Newer poisons are being developed/tested/introduced all the time but frankly I simply can't see a situation where legislation allows a cumulative poison to be used.

If anyone knows different I would be pleased to hear, nothing stands still and just when you think you have got there the goalposts have moved again! :good:

Cheers

Edited by Dekers

• 2 weeks later...