best bait for foxes?

hi guys, i do a lot of foxing and its mostly from a viechle but now ive got night vision i want to start baiting up for them. obviously any dead animal or road kill would do but i was just interested if anybody has a good bait for holding them while a shot is taken? ive heard cat food? any thoughts would be great. andy

I use fishy type products like sardines and tuna (with the wife's permission :whistling: ) An excellent attractor is boiled horse nail clippings. Used in Canada to attract Coyote's, it smells like hell and if there's a hungry fox around, he'll soon pick up the scent. PM me if you want more details of how I make it.

Here's a link: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/20965-horse-hoof-bait/?hl=%20horse%20%20hoof%20%20clippings

Save all scrap food keep, if you eat tinned fish save the juice, oil or water its kept in.keep baiting the same area, before you go out with your rifle chuck a load of cheap cat or dog biscuits around and soak in the fish juices. You can get ba bulk bag for about £5

what you will benefit from is finding out what time you're fox is visiting, Tie a rabbit to the battery of a cheap alarm clock from wilko, s or similar (£1.99)using fishing line or similar. (tape on stop it sliding off) put in a tupaware box with string threw a hole peg down container as the rabbits taken it stops the clock. ( have a fiddle try pulling and checking it pulls the battery out you may need tl secure the clock in the tub so the battery has room vto be pulled away freely)

I just use the remains of anything im shooting at that time of the year.At the moment its pigeon,duck,pheasant and rabbit left overs and once they are regular it doesnt really matter what you feed with.Instead of scattering it around i dig a slit with the spade and put in a wee bit food,close the slit and that makes the foxes have to dig and not just pick up and go away.I feed for a whole month and then hit them when the moon is big,hopefully with some frost or snow and then no need for the lamp.Did it with Mac on the last full moon and 6 came at the MILs and we managed 3,and with the snow this last few days its showed there are still at least 2 using it so will try again this coming moon.

The old fella used to run a wire all the way from a carcass to the lounge and every time the light went on he would try and nail them from a bedroom window and worked very well as no need to watch the whole time.The alarm clock is only good for the one fox,but if baiting for a few weeks and there are multiple foxes then an all nighter is called for.That last time the first fox came at the back of 9pm and the last sighting was just before 5am so you need to keep on your toes.

Tie a dead rabbit to a post ( best if rabbit open up) do it just before dark as magpies and the like get on it,, leave a few out before you actually go to shoot let them feel safe then on the third or fourth time wait for them to appear they tend to go straight there just after dark if baited for long enough creatures of habit foxes....works for me... they just sit and chew..put noose around the neck of rabbit makes them work harder to remove..

Edited by sirgoldalot