Long barrel pistol

JONAH898

Hello my dad and myself have both just out in variations for long barrel pistols, he's havin a .357 revolver and iv put in for a .22lr semi and very intrested in the new k22 looks like a betretta 92f. Any of u have any ideas on the long barrel pistols pros and cons on different makes just not a fan of the buckmark cheers

Personal opinion only :)

Don't do anything for me :( but then again I used to have a S&W 29 (Dirty Harry 44mag) and a Beratta 92F 9mm (Lethal Weapon)

I've shot an AlfaProj and Taurus in 44mag, wouldn't buy either based on the lack of build quality. I bought a Browning Buckmark Westlake converted LBP and while it shot well it just didn't feel right. Also tried the GSG 1911, didn't like the build quality of that either!, you can spend extra and upgrade a few of the parts but I think if you're paying that sort of money it should be right out of the box.

I may try one of the K22s next year, hoping to get a try of one after Xmas along with the VZ58 in trigger release when they are available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jonah898

I've just bought a K22 X-TRIM and also have a Taurus 357 magnum so I have some first hand experience - a friend of mine has a GSG 1911.

Firstly, whilst I fully respect the views of others who have tried LBR's and LBP's and either don't like the quality, or say its not the same as the old days, I disagree with them entirely for the following reasons:

reason 1) - it's all we've got if you want to shoot something that feels and shoots similar to a pistol or revolver in mainland UK

Reason 2) - see reason 1

On a more serious note, I have put in excess of 10000 rounds through my Taurus with only one hiccup and that was my own fault for not regularly checking the cylinder retaining screw - perhaps I'm lucky and got a good one, I know my friends 44 has been plagued by issues, but mine is good as gold, I shoot PP1, club comps and steel plates with it and as I've said on another forum recently, once the sights are lined up, it doesn't matter how long the barrel is and the wrist brace is a positive advantage with this revolver regardless of what others may tell you! It is bloody expensive for a revolver, but we don't have the luxury of choice - find a decent dealer who will provide a reasonable warranty and you should be ok. I also have a Henry 357 under lever (for the same calibre reasons your dad suggested) but to be honest, I don't use it that often because I have more fun with the revolver!

I bought the K22 after handling one at this years trafalgar meeting. I was a gnats hair away from buying a 1911, but didn't and bought the K22 instead - it's very well made and put together nice and tight, the slide is steel and the barrel is fixed (one of my main reasons for getting this over the 1911) - I've shot 100 or so rounds through it and it's gorgeous, mine has a competitiition trigger and extended mag release/safety but even without these it is a well made very nice piece of kit! It cost me a little under a grand, but when you add in all the after-market bits you have to purchase to make the GSG run smooth and shoot straight, it works out the same price, with none of the hastle or smithing required to fit a tighter barrel bushing, longer guide rod, etc, etc, which seem to be required on the 1911 - unless you go for the low mills 1911 in which case I hear they are great, but as rare as rocking horse doo-doo.

The buck mark is another option, but I have no experience of these and don't really like the look, I'm more of a "it's got to look like a regular suppressed semi-auto" to float my boat.

Any way that's my two-pennies worth

Good luck with your purchase - whatever you end up with shooting a 357 magnum revolver with full factory loads and a semi auto .22 fast is a whole heap of fun!

Solidslug

Thanks solidslug that's a big help and it's the k22 x-trim whisper I want and was also goin to have all the bells and whistles done to it before i buy and a cupple extra mags, soon as the variations come thro me and my dad can go shopping and get the best of both havin the .357 and the .22 semi :)

Good for you both - make sure you get the variations on both your separate tickets for both guns then you can (I think) put both

Guns On both tickets and both shoot either gun Otherwise you can't share

Before you but the whisper, have a word with caledonian (the importer) as I think they might be making a model with a detachable

Moderator - I might be wrong but worth checking - it's not actually that Lou anyway!

All the best

Solidslug

We did look into the black powder root and realy liked sum of the guns on offer just didn't like the inconsistency of the fireing as when watched a veteran of black powder shooting was havin to replace fireing caps several times before ignition so put me of a bit but do appreciate the work and skill in black powder shooting. As for the .23 semi lbp it's the closest we can get to any of the 9mm/45 cal semi auto pistols and fancy a go at practical shooting once I get sum practice in and find sum where in Staffordshire that does it

Hmmmmm,

Sorry but these LBR's just don't cut the mustard for me. Having owned proper pistols in the good old days i've no fancy for something with a ridiculously long barrel and what resembles a coat hanger stuck in the grips. To me its a way of getting around current legislation but for how long :/ that remains to be seen.

But everyone to their own and whatever choice you make i hope you enjoy. Not proper pistol shooting IMO though :no:

ATB,

Pat

Hi Pat

I don't disagree that the LBR's and lately the LBP's were originally designed to Prove/make a point, however, as an ex "real" pistol shooter myself who Proudly got Photographed and blackballed along with everyone else on the march in '97 - things ain't ever going back to the way they were - my preference is to continue shooting an LBR in .357 magnum competing in PP1 as well as practical style turning target pistol comps from the good ole days - the revolver feels a behaves just like a Norrmal revolver when the round goes bang, I've just started shooting steel plates with it too which is so much more

Fun double-Action than using an underlever!

My .22 semi is going to be used on purely practical IPSC style double-tap Comps and for steels - the gun is beautifully balanced and great fun to double-tap - it truly is like the old days, you even forget about the brace/balance rod honestly!

As you say each to their own but it's important we stick together if we want to retain shooting sports in the UK

May your powder stay dry

Solidslug

as long as we remain fragmented, we will be easy targets (no pun intended) for me, whether you shoot pistol, rifle, blackpowder, or a goose-gun... We are all in it together and should stand up and be counted as a single entity whenever any type of shooting (whether I do it or not), or firearm (whether I own one or not) is unfairly targeted by the politicos or media.

• 3 weeks later...

That was my understanding however reading The Sportsman's Association article in the latest gunmart throws doubt on it.

Apparently the author was taken to court for supplying an LBR to a club in 2010. There is no definition of a LBP in the firearms act and the Home Office agrees it is a grey area. The jury found that a 60cm LBP is a rifle and therefore a section 1 long arm.

Make of that what you will but hopefully it will be useful case law.