Winter Rape

I've been down to Hinckley for the weekend (partying). Needless to say, I scour the countryside, looking out for pigeon activity. Around the Hinckley area there seemed to be an awful lot of fields of rape. More than I've noticed for the last few years. Sadly there was hardly a pigeon in sight.

Now, on way home, just coming out of the the M6 toll road going north, I saw a field of rape on the right,with a small wood by it, and the wood was crawling with hundreds of woodpigeon buzzing around and in the tree tops.

A similar thing happened last week on my shoot. There are quite a few decent fields of rape, without a pigeon in sight.

But, driving close by I came across a small field of rape, with a small wood nearby. That wood was crawling with hundreds of woodpigeon, flitting in and out of the rape field. Obviously, it's not a field where I have permission to shoot, and I have no idea who owns it. Typical. :oops:

But my point is, if you're lucky, and the birds chose to feed on fields where you can shoot, there is still some great opportunities.

Sadly it hasn't happened to me yet.

The pigeon are about in some large flocks, but these flocks do seem few and far between.

Bit of a strange winter so far, but I just think, ' Patience ' .

Can you narrow the area done and I might help out who owns it