knife making question...

newbod

Been thinking about making my first knife using one of the helle knife blanks, but i cant seem to get my head around how the blank actually fits onto the wood.

I understand that with some blanks you use two pieces of wood with rods and use adhesive, what i cant understand is how the "spike" type looking blanks fit against the wood, is it just a case of drilling out the hole and using adhesive again?

Tried to attach a picture of the type of blank im talking about, cheers all.

post-65862-0-31915300-1386709835_thumb.jpg

Yea, that's pretty much it....

I made one once, tapered tang.... Measured tang size, drilled hole slightly smaller, glued it all up disc by disc then sanded it all down...

You can do one price wood handles, but I didn't have buts long enough...

Look at www.brisa.fi, some nice kits and instructions...

Have a look on youtube, what you do is drill a line of hole in the wood just under the size of the tang. Then you put the blade in the vice and heat it up and keep pushing the wooden handle so what it is doing is burning the shape in the wood.

So you drill the hole the same length as the tang, but not as wide? and simply push it on with adhesive already on it, no rubber mallets i guess because theres too much chance of splitting the wood.

I drill mine the same length and width 3.5 mm, even a bit wider than the width is ok as the glue fills in and it gives you a bit of scope

to get the blade in straight,you cant see a gap because the bolster covers it.

But the bolster that needs to be drilled so it is a tight fit or else it looks ****.

Edited by Fenlander

Doing it in sections can have a nice effect: just make sure the mating faces are as near perfect as you can get, then do the shaping when it's all glued together.

Use a jig if you can - this one is made of scrap bits of Unistrut and an offcut of oak!

Bolster fitted and glued

Tuominen_a.JPG

Handle sections fitted together, glued and clamped. The tang goes right through the handle on this one,

and protrudes through the pommel - it is soft enough to rivet over, securing the whole thing together,

even if the glue fails (unlikely, I know, but hey, so I'm paranoid!)

Tuominen_b.JPG

All glued up, end of tang peened over in pommel, ready for shaping.

Tuominen_c.JPG

Finished!

Tuominen_5rs.JPG