Species removed from 'the list'

Wildfowler12

As mentioned in a previous post, I used to see huge winter flocks al the time when I was a kid and into my late teens.

The population is a shadow of it's former self.

Your a lot younger than myself, all the upland grass areas was totally wick with them 20-30 yrs back! its the massive national decline not what you see today in the best areas.

Ah lad, some of us is old enough to have shot them legal - and a lot of other things as well

I once won a large bag of daffodil bulbs by shooting five straight redshanks - but that's another story.

Swan tasted good back in the war as well - road kill naturally :whistling:

Now come on now Grandalf, we need to hear that story!

1945 - Close to the end of WW Two in Europe - but nobody was sure when it was going to end. I was six years old living at Sonning-on-Thames in Berkshire. The river goes right through the village. Older brothers and brother-in-law all in the forces.

Fred, the one serving on tankers in the Merchant Navy, was home on a short leave between trips to Russia. (The dreaded Russian Convoys). Food was very short and rationing had been in place for years.

One evening Fred walked in with a dead swan in a sack and dumped it on the kitchen table. Mother, known in the family as The Duchess, threw a fit. The old man hid it in the larder.

Fred wouldn't say how the bird had been acquired but said he hadn't killed it. The Duchess was sure we would all go to jail as the bird belonged to the King.

It spent the next two days hidden in the log shed whilst the adult members of the family discussed its fate.

The following Sunday, when brother-in-law was also home along with my sister, there was a right royal row with everyone against The Duchess. She was utterly convinced we would all be thrown in the Tower of London for High Treason.

Anyway, common sense prevailed. The swan was plucked by the old man, cut into quarters because the council issue cooker and available pots were to small, and it was roasted along with some potatoes that were 'borrowed' from The Reading University Farm.

A superb meal was had by all the family except eldest brother who was with the army in Italy.

I, still a young whipper-snapper, was sworn to secrecy along with everyone else.

It was tender and delicious. But our taste-buds were seriously out of practice by then. We would eat anything and enjoy it. (One egg a week per person etc).

The feathers and carcass, after broth had been boiled out of it, were buried - at night - where the spuds had been borrowed from.

We never discussed it in public 'till long after the war was done. The Duchess was still convinced we had committed the highest possible crime against the Monarch.

Edited by Grandalf