Ammunition transfers now to be notified to police!

JonathanL

Ok so your saying that I'm likely to get advice from my local firearms dept. At the regional police HQ which would conclude with me breaking the law.

I'm not thick and know the basics of firearms law, but I would be extremely worried if something like you said above happened.

But as things stand to me they know the law and they are also the people who inforce the law upon us. So why can't we just take the advice they give to us?

And as it happens i have never sent an email notification n my life and don't intend to start now. I'm not slating what you do but I just think a but of common sense and you cant go wrong. After all if it were ever in a court is it reasonable for every person with a firearms certificate to know firearms law like the back of their hand? I would have thought a copy of the letter from the local constabulary stating i could use this form of notification would be plenty of evidence to show I have tried to comply with the law. And then surely any fault would lie with them as they have told me I can do something when I cant.

I know ignorance is no excuse but asking the police, having it in writing is hardly ignorant, in fact i think if it were to go to the CPS they would most likely be laughing into next week at how weak the case would be

Ok so your saying that I'm likely to get advice from my local firearms dept. At the regional police HQ which would conclude with me breaking the law.

I'm not thick and know the basics of firearms law, but I would be extremely worried if something like you said above happened.

But as things stand to me they know the law and they are also the people who inforce the law upon us. So why can't we just take the advice they give to us?

And as it happens i have never sent an email notification n my life and don't intend to start now. I'm not slating what you do but I just think a but of common sense and you cant go wrong. After all if it were ever in a court is it reasonable for every person with a firearms certificate to know firearms law like the back of their hand? I would have thought a copy of the letter from the local constabulary stating i could use this form of notification would be plenty of evidence to show I have tried to comply with the law. And then surely any fault would lie with them as they have told me I can do something when I cant.

I know ignorance is no excuse but asking the police, having it in writing is hardly ignorant, in fact i think if it were to go to the CPS they would most likely be laughing into next week at how weak the case would be

I agree with pretty much everything you say here. Although it is not the police who enforce that law - it is the courts.

However, the fact still remains, the police cannot tell you that it is ok to not comply with the law. The fact that it is something fairly minor which almost certainly won't get you prosecuted is hardly the point.

The questions still remain; if you are happy to do this because the police say you can then what about doing the other things if they police said you could? If the police told you that you clay shoot in your street would you be happy to do it? If they said that your renewal wasn't particularly urgent and just to send it in whever you felt like it then would you take them at their word?

It goes back to a point I made a few posts ago. The Home Office guidance currently incorrectly states that only convictions acquired since the previous grant or renewal need be declared on the renewal form - that is wrong, totally and compltely wrong. Not declaring a conviction is an offence and could get you prosecuted. The fact that the HO gave you false information is not reason of its self to save you from prosecution or conviction.

J.

++++++++++1

point made. But what if i didn't use the forum and was non the wiser about the notifications and the form then what would someone do?

If the form says something then one would expect that's what they would need to do but that's another thread.

Paul

Well, yes, precisely.

As I say, it's highly unlikely that anyone would ever be prosecuted for not making a notification by recorded delivery. The problem though is what it is saying about the whole system. There seems to be a culture of the more minor parts of the firearms rules and regs being bent or ignored simply to make things easier to administer. Don't get me wrong, most of it is totally pointless to begin with but that is hardly the point. If these ideas had come from the other side of the fence then all hell would break loose. If it were BASC who were saying to their members not to bother doing this that or the other because it made things easier then people would probably end up in prison!

Is there any other area of legal regulation where requirements in law are simply ignored by a body chraged with administering it? I can't think of any.

J.

It's in part because lots of very wealthy and influential people own shotguns. Not all shotgun owners by any means but a large number are.

It all goes back to the fact that we are always told that the only reason for control on firearms is public safety which we know isn't true. If there is a public safety issue in controling ammunition then why not shotgun ammunition? It is quite simply illogical that shotgun ammunition is excluded. Shotguns were the number one weapon of choice for violent criminals for absolutely decades yet they are the firearm subject to the lowest form of control if you exclude sub 12ft/lb airguns.

The fact that shotgun ammo doesn't get entered on your SGC is beside the point because it doesn't mean that it can't be made a requirement to notify of the supply of it. Entering it on the FAC is pointless anyway if you are going to be made to notify it. It's pretty pointless in any event as an RFD keeps a record of the sale. However, the point is pretty moot now as it seems to be a misunderstanding of the law in the part of whomever drafted and signed off on the new form.

J.

I am sure that it is the landed gentry and wealthy people who own quite a lot of the land in this Country. They kindly let us wander around and practice our sport...however in your case J, all you seem to do is type tosh and make lots of spelling mistakes.... :whistling:

TEH

I am sure that it is the landed gentry and wealthy people who own quite a lot of the land in this Country. They kindly let us wander around and practice our sport...however in your case J, all you seem to do is type tosh and make lots of spelling mistakes.... :whistling:

TEH

Another one of your usual type of posts; no attempt to address any point raised just personal abuse.

J.

Well I just heard from the gnomes of Norfolk that all gun owners are to have a bar code tattooed on the back of their hand so that it can be swiped like a credit card and all info passed to the old Bill when we buy ammo . I am not very happy with this one as I am anti tattoo .

Harnser.

Wiltshire seem to deal with email notifications rather well. They have been known to email confirmation back and my purchases have even shown up on my cert after renewal...can't say fairer than that.

Anything that means I can interact with the authorities in a manner that suits me will get my vote. We're the customers in this process and we have a voice - just use the right channels to make it heard.

Another one of your usual type of posts; no attempt to address any point raised just personal abuse.

J.

My typical post is far from the previous one....It usually entails details of the days sport spent in a field, marsh, woodland area with a reasonable write up, accompanied by a couple of pictures.

Points are the only thing you raise....you should try a gun once in a while.. :whistling:

TEH

My typical post is far from the previous one....It usually entails details of the days sport spent in a field, marsh, woodland area with a reasonable write up, accompanied by a couple of pictures.

Points are the only thing you raise....you should try a gun once in a while.. :whistling:

TEH

Thanks for nicely proving my previous point. Because someone disagrees with you or doesn't post on the same sorts of suibjects you feel justified in hurling abuse and insults at them.

By the way, what's the significance of the little whistling bloke? I don't see its relevance to your comments.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

TEH

Spot on TEH.... :good:

Thanks for nicely proving my previous point. Because someone disagrees with you or doesn't post on the same sorts of suibjects you feel justified in hurling abuse and insults at them.

By the way, what's the significance of the little whistling bloke? I don't see its relevance to your comments.

J.

I have no need to hurl any abuse at you.....just raising a few points...... :whistling:

I trust this icon :shoot:is rarely used on your key board...

TEH

I have no need to hurl any abuse at you.....just raising a few points...... :whistling:

I trust this icon :shoot:is rarely used on your key board...

TEH

Well, resorting to references to spelling mistakes and me posting 'tosh' certainly qualifies as an insult of not actually abusive. Even your final sentence in the quote I'm replying to here seems to be some failed attempt at a put down, although I fail to quite see the relevance.

So, what does the whistling man actually mean and what's the relevance to your writings? I'm genuinely interested.

J.

:whistling: Wow I'm amazed at how quickly this went off topic. As for spelling mistakes, well its no worse than me lol.

And that whistling man really bothers you don't it

If that refers to me then, no, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why would something like that bother anyone? All I was asking is what it means and what it's relevance to what TEH posted was as I genuinely don't know the answer. Coincidentally I suspect that neither does he.

J.

Edited by JonathanL