This morning's stalk

sterling

Having prematurely settled into the festive spirits last night :drinks: , I decided to start the holidays early this morning and ditch work in favour of a dawn stalk. With a heavy frost still crisp on the ground, it was hard to tread quietly but it was a glorious morning for a stroll nonetheless. No sooner had I got the rifle loaded than I heard the bark of a muntjac across the hill and I inched my way through the chestnut coppice in hopes of glassing the little beast.

This chap came into view browsing a hedgeline at 120 metres and fell cleanly to a 90 grain .243 PPU. For the money, I'm mightily impressed with this round but it doesn't penetrate a whole lot. On dressing the buck, the nicely mushroomed bullet appeared wedged in an off-side rib. Whilst it had done a real number on the vitals, I'd have liked it to exit an animal this size ideally. Right then, I decided not to use this for broadsides on anything larger than roe in future. All in all though, that's my part of Christmas dinner sorted! :D

2rdujrq.jpg

10y2ttk.jpg

xx6o4.jpg

Thats brill and that bullet looks perfect to me :good:

Is that rifle a CZ?

U.

Cheers. Yeah I'm very keen on these bullets - they retain their weight even at close ranges and they're easy on the wallet too. For the smaller species, they're just what the doctor ordered. The rifle does look like a CZ but it's actually a RWS 89 with leupold 6x42 glass and a wildcat moderator. Bit heavy, but it does the job nicely!

Wish we had more round here - looks manageable (and I'm allowed to shoot them!)

I really admire the little chaps despite the damage they do to the woods/crops, they make for some very challenging stalking and yeah they're pleasantly easy to handle too. I thought there were loads in the coppices around Sussex, try getting in touch with some woodland owners, you'll soon find out where they are. :)