Any sparkies out there? Help!

poorpeet

Over the last few days the 32 amp breaker that shields the wall sockets has tripped a few times.

The lighting one goes whenever a bulb blows but I can't find anything wrong with anything that's plugged in.

I have taken all the plugs out and plugged things in one at a time without finding a problem and run the fridge and freezer off an extension lead from the oven circuit but that's not revealed a problem. It can go a day without a problem or can go twice in 20 min.

Everything comes back on when you re set it.

Could it be a faulty breaker? I was thinking of swapping over the one that keeps tripping for the 32 amp oven one to see if the fault moves with it.

Any other things I can try or check?

Edited by shaun4860

Do you have a combi boiler? Might be worth isolating the feed for it and seeing if you find the issue. I went through the same issue last year unplugging every single appliance and found it was an intermittent short on the boiler pump. Condensation was forming and tripping it out.

Not a combi just a standard boiler boiler. We have unplugged everything on a room by room basis, inc the boiler. The problem is it only happens now and again. We went 24 hours without a

problem then it happened three times in a day but with different intervals.

No rhyme or reason to it. :mad:

Call in a sparks but even then there is no guarantee he/she will find it straight away. There are tests sparks can do, cct continuity: should find high resistance on a loop loose connections etc, earth continuity: should make sure the whole cct has an earth, insulation resistance: checks for any shorts between l+n n+e l+e (before any one says yes with n disconnected), load test: see how much current the cct is pulling. There are a few more flair etc. But even then there is no guarantee the fault will surface I'm afraid. Also you may find faults which don't nessecerely link to the problem. Even so get one in to run some checks as it might find it straight away. One thing I would probably check first is any external wiring. Outside sockets, lighting etc. These should ideally be on their own rcbo, but not everyone follows best practice. I've seen sockets spurred off lighting ccts, super long radial ccts etc etc. A favorite is usually to put a outside light off a fused spur on from the ring main. (before anyone says "the fuse will blow"well a mcb tends to operate just a little quicker).

Hope this helps

No its not been stripped out just turned off and the wire cut at the wall! Never bothered to check it & we've been here since 96!

Exactly why a test could reveal more nastiness.

I'm not surprised by any bodge I see nowadays. It seems every house has one or more somewhere. One of the latest ones I saw was the cpc used as a switched live