clay ground around merthyr tydfill ??

hedge hunter

Hi guys im after some info pleaee. I was chatting to a chap yesterday whilst beating, and he mentioned a clay club in merthyr Tydfil, however he wasn't sure the exact location but was pretty sure they shoot on a sunday morning. Of any body had any more info please that would be great, location contact details etc, cheers hh

Hi mate, no I haven't tried that site sorry. Im only asking as I have finally got round to picking my little girls gun up. However with her being in school all week and the pair of us beating every saturday, that only really leaves us for a sunday shoot. Well untill the end of pheasant season anyway lol, then it will be onto the real pigeons haha, cheers hh

Hi mate, there is a small club that shoots every Sunday morning in Heolgerrig, Merthyr Tydfil.

PM inbound with the details.

+1, they're a friendly bunch too but you'll have to put up with a bit of banter lol. SW2000 is a much better ground than Treetops, it's run by shooters for shooters Treetops just want what's in your wallet to the point they will openly rip you off.

SW2000 is a cracking ground (not been to treetops) but i didnt like it there, maybe it was the people on the day but i found them a stuffy lot, not friendly at all with someone on his first outing on the clays

Have a word with Sian behind the counter and she'll get Mike (the ground owner) or Steve (the groundsman) to show you around and explain how everything works either will be more than happy to do so. You do get the odd group who don't interact with other shooters but then you get those everywhere.

Edited by Trevorevans

No worries mate,

Sians good as gold, don't let her frighten you tho ;)

Mike, Joe, Steve or Lindsey will be happy to give you the run down of the place. If you spot me up there then I will be happy to take you around too.

What Trevor ment to say was watch out for Trap shooters...they are a funny bunch :rolleyes: .................only joking guys!

Have a word with Sian behind the counter and she'll get Mike (the ground owner) or Steve (the groundsman) to show you around and explain how everything works either will be more than happy to do so. You do get the odd group who don't interact with other shooters but then you get those everywhere.

to be fair one of the two guys i went with that day used to shoot there several days a week and he showed me thr ropes there and loads of people there knew him, there was also a competition on so a guy took us round and he was a lovely guy and gave me loads of tips...

it was some of the other people there and their attitude as i was obviously new to the sport and not upto their standards. dont get me wrong we are all up for **** taking, im probably worst than most for doing it but theres limits, especially with someone who is new as it can very easily put them off.. im to thick skinned for that but it could put them off. since going there i have spoken to quite a few people who either no longer go there or will not go as they have heard of the same thing.

the best attitudes ive found so far has been from the nelson club, a small club but on my first visit not having a clue about dtl as id only ever done sporting couldnt help me enough and kept me behind after the first card had been run to give me tons of help and laods more clays all free... a few weeks later my mates cosuin came with us and his 13 year old son who had never shot a clay, the guy spent almost an hour with him showing him everything and not charging... its things like this that will keep me going to a club as i ca nsee their not just in it for the money

Edited by kiffy

Only once I've been up nelson, not to shoot mind, just poped in to find out info about them really. They seemed a nice bunch of guys, even if they did have a few jibbs at me for being a rough shooter lol. But all in all they seemed tidy boys. I did not make it upto the Merthyr club after all on sunday. When I rang the guy who runs it he was not there on that particular day and asked meto pop up next sunday instead, cheers hh

the best attitudes ive found so far has been from the nelson club, a small club but on my first visit not having a clue about dtl as id only ever done sporting couldnt help me enough and kept me behind after the first card had been run to give me tons of help and laods more clays all free... a few weeks later my mates cosuin came with us and his 13 year old son who had never shot a clay, the guy spent almost an hour with him showing him everything and not charging... its things like this that will keep me going to a club as i ca nsee their not just in it for the money

That was probably Chris, great guy and really nice place to try trap shooting.