turbo flappers any need for magnet as well ?

timmyra608

Totally agree with Cos.

I stopped using my magnet during harvest and just used a single flapper.

I think I had better results without it. I was out on Sunday and and I reckon

90 %of the birds I shot tried to land on the magnet.

No days the same.

Cheers chaps. was looking to lighten my load as have a fair distance to walk. Will try Sunday without magnet and see how it goes.

Also is the horse shoe pattern the best method to use when decoying if the wind is blowing directly towards the hide?

Thanks

Tim

(Sorry still fairly new to this)

Cheers chaps. was looking to lighten my load as have a fair distance to walk. Will try Sunday without magnet and see how it goes.

Also is the horse shoe pattern the best method to use when decoying if the wind is blowing directly towards the hide?

Thanks

Tim

(Sorry still fairly new to this)

The horse shoe is a proven pattern that can work. Try that to start with and watch the birds reactions. If they won't commit to your pattern don't be afraid to change it.

Don't rush out if a couple of birds don't decoy, it's a bit of hit and miss on a quiet day, much easier to read the birds when there's loads about.

But do watch their reactions and try to spot any patterns in their behaviour and adjust your decoys to compensate.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited by Cosd

The horse shoe is a proven pattern that can work. Try that to start with and watch the birds reactions. If they won't commit to your pattern don't be afraid to change it.

Don't rush out if a couple of birds don't decoy, it's a bit of hit and miss on a quiet day, much easier to read the birds when there's loads about.

But do watch their reactions and try to spot any patterns in their behaviour and adjust your decoys to compensate.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I agree. I think some people are far too quick to change the pattern when a few birds turn away early on in proceedings. I have shot over 100 on a few occasions when the pigeons didn't want to know for the first hour or so, but came in perfectly for the rest of the day.

I will try a magnet and a flapper tomorrow on some sugar beet tops. I may well record what happens if i'm getting a bit of sport.

I almost always start with a rough horeshoe pattern of some sort. It seems to work for me.

I always start with a basic horseshoe or "v" pattern with a flapper depending on the lay of the land and they maturity of the crop I add magnet and bouncers accordingly if they don't fancy it.

Sometimes they love it and sometimes they stay well clear.

There is no definitive right or wrong way as my mate literally throws his birds randomly and they stay where they drop.

Trial and error every time.

Cheers Motty, where about do u shoot? I am heading over to Pentney Sunday but not expecting a lot as am shooting a rape field where the rape has failed and surrounded by grass fields. There is a good flight line though.

I shoot on a few farms here and there. I do a little bit of shooting at Pentney. I've shot a few pigeons as well as ducks and geese there over the last few years.

Edited by motty