Essex Shotgun Application delays

Travlaa

I'm on 5 months in South Yorkshire. Cheque cashed after 1 week, home visit after 3, 12 weeks later and still nothing through the post. I'm calling them every month, and their response is that there's a lot more applications than usual, they're short-staffed, and renewals get put in front of grants.

I think its wrong that they cash the cheques then make you wait so long!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news :good: I bet you're well chuffed :yahoo: Mines been 15 weeks today & not heard a dicky bird from them :no: I'll give them another week & then it's time to get the phone out. I bet you can't wait to get your first Shotgun :yes: Let us know what you get !! All the best Dan.

Currently says "PLEASE NOTE – the application process for New Grant Applications is currently taking around 16 weeks due to high volume of applications received, however we are working hard to decrease this process time"

As mentioned asbove - pester power. I also spoke with BASC who called them on my behalf.

Already had shotgun, was being kept on my sister-in-laws cert/cabinet. Was just a massive pain relying on others, not being able to go freely and buy cartridges, etc, etc. Still freedom awaits and will be up fennes quite reguarly and knocking a few pigeons down hopefully. Have access to a wood so will be lying in wait come roosting/home time.

My SGC was due to run out on May 5th. I duly sent the form in (Registered post) which was signed for on 15th Jan. Mid April, I think it was, I phoned up the office and voiced concern that I had not had the visit yet. I was told to contact my FEO, Scott Grant, as he had it. I phoned him but he was engaged but he phoned back within 10 mins and we arranged an appointment within two days. When he came round we had a natter and he was quite happy. He said first or second week in May it should be with me.

The certificate ran out on the Saturday so on the Friday I phoned the office and was told it was upstairs and should be with me on the Saturday or Monday, at the latest. I enquired as to when the old ticket ran out, midday or midnight as I was due to go shooting on the Saturday. Midnight was the reply.

Went shooting on the Saturday and it arrived whilst I was out. I have to agree I was getting somewhat worried as I have heard stories of guns being in storage for months and at £3.00 per gun/per week (price quoted) it could have been quite expensive.

Get in touch with your FEO if there is a delay, they are there to help you and be your point of contact. They ain't there to be obstructive and they are under pressure due to numbers.

Still dont have it!!! Phoned up wed and was told could be 3 or more weeks as they have to consider my gp report. So on it goes.....

Is there anything in your medical history that might cause a problem?

If not they have nothing to 'consider'. They're simply making excuses.

After all of the problems that I had getting my own FAC and having kept an eye on how others are/have suffered over the past months, I have been wondering if a complete copy of all items posted on this particular subject could/should be sent into Essex Police for their input and reply into the problems that are being caused by the department concerned.

If as they state they have 600 applications in a backlog this would equate too £30,000 being held in their coffer's, that is if only one application per person has been sent in, ie Shotgun, FAC.

Your thoughts on this one?

19 weeks today, I've finally rang them, very pleasant lady spoke to me & gave me the number of the person who's dealing with my application, who in turn didn't know about me & passed me to another person, who then said it was the first one :lol: He then said he would look in to it & ring me tomorrow. The Chap was very helpful & I told him it's been 19 weeks & not heard anything from them at all, & that to be honest my patience was wearing thin, he totally agreed with me :yes:

Well I don't suppose it will do any good, but at least my names now in their minds. Not even had a visit as yet, :no: Said it would be nice to get it in time for a boxing day shoot !! But I won't hold my breath :sad1:

Let's see what tomorrow brings :hmm:

Edited by Dan.lord

Is there anything in your medical history that might cause a problem?

If not they have nothing to 'consider'. They're simply making excuses.

Have had a history of depression some years ago. Sent the Doctors report to them back in March and its only being looked at now. Would of thought that would be the first thing they would look at to save time. Had my interview a few months later he said he cant see it being a problem.

Not sure if I will get my SGC but to wait over half a year for a NO will be slightly annoying. You would think medical history and criminal records etc would be assessed way in advance of the interview, thus saving time of the FAO if the person wasn't legible.

Still I shall keep you posted.

Good luck to everyone else hope you hear back soon!

Well he rang back (bonus point there at least ), yes I'm in the system, not at the top of the pile ,but not at the bottom either <_< will be a few more weeks as yet :( asked how many more.... who know's, how longs a piece of string !! Anyway I said i'll ring again on a regular basis to remind them :yes: let's see what happens. Maybe a boxing day shoot is more realistic after all !!

Hey Shotboy Gun, I hope all goes well for you, I'm sure you'll be ok I'll keep my fingers crossed :good: