season nearly over

darren m

in away i,m glad i,ll get some weekdays and me weekends back , on the other hand i'll feel lost .

so to keep the momentum going i was wondering if anyone knew of any simulated game days or trials taking place over the next several months .

longshot i know as most are done pre-season as a warm up , but just thought i'd ask anyway

cheers

And the best way to wreck your dog for game shooting.

Personally mine moves onto more stalking and other kinds of shooting. Not the same as a good game day but better than nothing

What? A hunting dog like a spaniel needs to be steady and rabbits are great for hammering this home, a bird dog can go on grouse from 12th aug with the gun. A retriever can lay down beside you and ambush rabbits with the rifle or walk to heel. If your ruining the dog then I suggest you aint or never have trained it or correcting error. The only exception being you don't want a grouse pointer / HPR "bird dog" pointing bunnies or even taking note of their existence. I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the response given, do rabbits and hares not bolt in front of a peg dog during a drive? do beating walked up dogs not need to know not to follow foot scent?

My post was Rabbits and the like, that might be pigeons from the hide and lots of stuff. Avoiding rabbits is darn near impossible in most game shooting areas and a spaniel or retriever that wont work them is not going to win many prizes if that's your bent. It does no harm for a wildfowlers dog OR WHATEVER to sit in a pigeon hide and it does no harm for it to lie still in the grass while its owner plugs a few long ears with the .22. A retriever allowed to hunt up is only a slight area of caution, specific to the dog in question and owners requirements, just like the grouse dog on ground game it needs considering

Heck rabbit days are advertised for bringing on trial dogs!

kent - a few rabbit days would be good , currently though since moving i only have a few paddocks to shoot over and because of the horses , i use the air rifle.

i,ve never ever seen rabbit days advertised but good idea , if i could find some it would keep us both occupied

kent - a few rabbit days would be good , currently though since moving i only have a few paddocks to shoot over and because of the horses , i use the air rifle.

i,ve never ever seen rabbit days advertised but good idea , if i could find some it would keep us both occupied

Ask around, try the gundog forum etc. Air rifle might get challenging with a lively young springer :lol:

Ask around, try the gundog forum etc. Air rifle might get challenging with a lively young springer :lol:

yeah just a bit , especially in the dark :)

dogs have been good all season so no complaints there , just done 3 beaters days and now all finished

got a little bit of roost shooting or i could watch the six nations , not decided yet