Optimum number of decoys?

tullyhubbert

I usually go decoying with the same shooting companion. We build two hides 40-50yds apart and set up a horseshoe pattern between the hides obviously taking note of wind direction. Seems to work nicely as any birds that leak to the sides ususally go over one of the hides. We place all our decoys out, that amounts to approx 25 feeding shells on sticks, 8 full bodied and a couple of crows on the outer edge somewhere. None of the above are flocked.

The ground we are shooting tomorrow seems to have at least two different spots we want to cover (A few hundred yds apart) Are 12-15 decoys in a horseshoe likely to be effective? :P

Asking for a couple of reasons, the above and because I've read so much about flocked deeks I'd like to get some. However they are very expensive and I would be buying 10 shells at most.

John

I usually go decoying with the same shooting companion. We build two hides 40-50yds apart and set up a horseshoe pattern between the hides obviously taking note of wind direction. Seems to work nicely as any birds that leak to the sides ususally go over one of the hides. We place all our decoys out, that amounts to approx 25 feeding shells on sticks, 8 full bodied and a couple of crows on the outer edge somewhere. None of the above are flocked.

The ground we are shooting tomorrow seems to have at least two different spots we want to cover (A few hundred yds apart) Are 12-15 decoys in a horseshoe likely to be effective? :P

Asking for a couple of reasons, the above and because I've read so much about flocked deeks I'd like to get some. However they are very expensive and I would be buying 10 shells at most.

John

i have found the best way is to keep 10 or so birds from last shooting session and bag them and pop in freezer,make sure you defrost before using atleast 24 hrs.

12/15 should be enough ,how confident are you of shooting a few quick birds start together nail one or two then split is another option!

<snip> my previous ramblings

i have found the best way is to keep 10 or so birds from last shooting session and bag them and pop in freezer,make sure you defrost before using atleast 24 hrs.

12/15 should be enough ,how confident are you of shooting a few quick birds start together nail one or two then split is another option!

Hmmmm, frozen dead birds not an option I'm afraid. Not confident of some quick birds before splitting up. A mornings shooting usually varies from 0-12 depending on how many birds are about. I don't have any floaters but do have an old flapper (Off pull string variety) which I never thought was worth carrying.

Looking towards next season (I stop shooting mid Feb) and equipment modernisation. Are these flocked birds really worth the extra money and would 10 flocked shells and a floater be a sensible investment?

John

if you got a flapper get it out and try it ,movement is very important in a pattern ,all static and piggie knows somethings up ,Anything is worth trying a couple of times say in different positions /different speeds .

I don`t use a flapper but i do use a floater ,you don`t need to buy one just go to the nearest hazel wood cut a piece of hazel about 7ft long use that works a treat :)

pigeon shooting is not about buying everything ,use your imagination and create things you would like to see your decoys do!!

i am using sprung craddles at the moment for dead birds ,i got this idea from watch live pigeons waddling round a field they certainlly help

Well tullyhubbert what sort of crop are you intending decoying over?

If it is oilseed I don't think 12 - 15 deeks will be enough especially for the two of you on a big area.

It is oilseed you will do much better in the winter months if you use about 40+ shells or DB's and introduce a bit of movement, a floater(bumstick) or three should suffice.

At this time of year pigeons will be more confidant in joining more rather than just a few birds feeding!

Good luck.

Cheers, C.B. :~}

If it is oilseed I don't think 12 - 15 deeks will be enough especially for the two of you on a big area.

It is oilseed you will do much better in the winter months if you use about 40+ shells or DB's and introduce a bit of movement, a floater(bumstick) or three should suffice.

Mostly barley stubble but sometimes oilseed rape.

Its a case of my old deeks are getting tattly because the paint has all but fallen of the full bodied shells and the half shells are getting cracked and broken especially around the peg mounting points. So for next season I want to get some new ones. Flocked shells are very expensive and before splashing out on some of those I'd like to know if they are really any better. My local gun shop stocks these ones http://tinyurl.com/3eyo6x and they look fine to me.

The other thing I need is a piece of old style scim netting. About 12' (min) x 5' would do nicely. Not been able to souce any suitably cheep yet :/

John

Mostly barley stubble but sometimes oilseed rape.

Its a case of my old deeks are getting tattly because the paint has all but fallen of the full bodied shells and the half shells are getting cracked and broken especially around the peg mounting points. So for next season I want to get some new ones. Flocked shells are very expensive and before splashing out on some of those I'd like to know if they are really any better. My local gun shop stocks these ones http://tinyurl.com/3eyo6x and they look fine to me.

The other thing I need is a piece of old style scim netting. About 12' (min) x 5' would do nicely. Not been able to souce any suitably cheep yet :no:

John

Thats the decoys I use and there fine :/

The other thing I need is a piece of old style scim netting. About 12' (min) x 5' would do nicely. Not been able to souce any suitably cheep yet :huh:

Another ebay purchase :blush:

http://tinyurl.com/2h4aa5

I like the old scrim style nets as I can stuff it full of the local vegetation for better camouflage.

John