N750 or photon

beesley121

Hi guys,

Looking for a decent night vision setup. Only have a .22 rimmy and .17 at the moment but looking to get a cf soon when my Feo allows it.

Looking to shoot mainly rabbits, rats for now, fox will come later. Do you think I should just bite the bullet and get a n750 or do you think a Yukon photon will be enough, even for foxes later on?

Selfish thread hi-jack alert - but it can save your wallet a hammering. :yes:

Those two dedicated rifle mounted NVD's are worlds apart in price and image quality.

The manufactures failed to build an iris in to the end of them both though: End result is that because so many people have been brainwashed into thinking they need very powerful IR for "Night Vision" - when it's only the old technology rear add-on scopes and gen 1 that need huge amounts of Ir: To overcome the losses made as the light passes through several lenses within the day-scope before the image sensor is allowed to do the job it was designed for... with just a camera lens in front of it.

The two devices asked about have B&W low light cameras working within their design format - so they see much better with much less IR. If they had an iris in front of the sensor - like what you get on decent camera lenses and CCTV lenses the image seen would be much better, with less eye blur and better focus depth of field. That can be fixed though by using a lens cap with a 1" ish hole in it when using your illuminator so it reduces the light to a level that the camera system can cope with. It's one of the reasons a doubler manages the light input so well - because the doubler has an iris in the flip-up lens cover. You can make a lens cap iris yourself or buy one.

I'm blowing my own trumpet here but:

I am about to make available the trickiest parts so people can simplify their own dedicated digital (AKA scope-less) night vision rig. It will have an iris control and will deliver far superior images to the viewer during both day and night. It is intended as a home build kit that anyone who can do up a set of scope mounts can manage - but he will also need to be able to get an 'On Screen Display' digital reticle overlay control and menu into his head. The build will cost less than £300 - and I will be putting the build tutorial up for the membership.

Many people have said they dislike some of the home build rigs because they prefer the cheek welded shooting position. there is a way round that where the shooter views the screen of a 2.5" DVR that has about 10" of eye relief to focus on, rather than the usual 1" or so image seen at 4" ish eye relief... and you can record the crosshair view shot with it too.

Here is a taster:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/media/CSmountthread_zpsbbf7c503.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/media/DSCF0277_zps1afc7f7b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/media/DSCF0298_zps6e7f4e29.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

You will need to be able to get your head around this OSD retical making/adjusting principal that is built into the EJ230 bullet camera used by this very clever chap in the USA:

Edited by Dave-G

I had a n750 and put my own personal review of it on here. I fitted a dpinto adapter, youkon doubler and t20 ir. Visually it was stunning BUT it would loose its zero for no apparent reason and after doing a bit of re search on night vision forums ect i found this was a common problem. I sold it and bought an ex demo gen3 archer. It is amazing, i have seen through better ie pvs14 but the archer is everything i need. If your going to buy a n750 new, put in that little extra and go green.

Your not that far from me, if you want a look pls just pm me.

Atb Peter.

As requested here is a small appetite whetter? regarding the up-coming build that any of you can have a go at. The biggest hurdle to using a dedicated (or scopeless) DIY rig as they have been dubbed is how to get an adjustable crosshair, and then for it to be easily managed by old blokes like me (62)

I'm not yet ready to start the build thread because it all has to be done within 24 hours or so on here before I lose the ability to add to it when the edit button is taken away. I'm now waiting for an injection mould toolmaker to his stuff.