mountain bike question

viking

Simply because 26" wheels have had years and years of research and development into them and on a budget your going to get a more proven and readily available platform from which to build on in the future, not to mention the availability of spares if and when required.

On a budget you want the lightest bike you can afford. it stands to reason that cheap materials weigh more so the extra 3" in rim, tyre, inner tube and spoke length will all add up.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat. I need a bike for a charity event I'm doing, I did the same event last year on a borrowed hard tail, which was perfect and wanted my own this year. My budget is slightly more than yours, but not by much. I was advised to buy second hand as bikes depreciate massively and you get so much more for your cash. But, I've been scouring the small ads, fleabay, Gumtree etc for yonks and nothing suitable has showed up. So I bit the bullet and bought new. I tried a load but settled on a Specialized Rockhopper from a local bike shop. Ordered a week ago, I collect it tomorrow. I paid £650 for a 2014 model, I get 10% of that back in vouchers for accessories plus a couple of free services. 2013 models are about £100 cheaper online, but I wanted the advice and back up of a local shop. I'll find out over the next few weeks if I've made a wise choice.

I've done a load of training miles on this now, on off road and some right beastings up the Cotswold hills and I love this bike. One advantage of buying new is I've been back to the shop a couple of times to get them to fettle and tweak the gear indexing as it's bedded in.

0027046_specialized_rockhopper_29er_hard

Edited by Blunderbuss

Every other size is a fad.

26 will be phased out of performance hard tails in the near future, not many brands making them now. 26 will be around at the lower price points as there so much tooling out there for them. AM bikes and above will be 26 for a while. Most people appear to be faster over the same ground on a 29 rather than 26. Move stable, bigger contact patch, more grip. Tis the future!

26 will be phased out of performance hard tails in the near future, not many brands making them now. 26 will be around at the lower price points as there so much tooling out there for them. AM bikes and above will be 26 for a while. Most people appear to be faster over the same ground on a 29 rather than 26. Move stable, bigger contact patch, more grip. Tis the future!

But for those of us who are vertically challenged the 29er is not suitable. 650b I think maybe be the middle ground.

I think someone spent a lot of money on a shiny new 29er!