Clotha Crash - Helicopter - ran out of fuel

Kes

This does not make comfortable reading.

+1

Some points I picked up on:

Page 1 Para 1.5.1 Would appear to be a very experienced pilot used to operating under stressful conditions.

Page 86 and 87 Para's 2.2.7.1 and 2.2.7.2 Switches similar and close together, both unguarded and both in the wrong position. Note here, Page 46, Para 1.12.12 suggests limited cockpit lighting.

Page 64, Para 1.17.2.4.1 This is a dramatic increase from the previous MLA criteria.

Page 53, Para 1.16.2 Note no drop in the supply tanks and fuel only taken from the main tank. Pity that wasn't tried under controlled flight conditions starting with a 400kg fuel load.

One word is used several times - "unknown" - and as such Nicks' Post above is spot on.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than being deliberate I feel, for what it's worth, complacency possibly played a part. The helicopter was scrambled, the pilot rushed his preflight checks, forgot to turn on the transfer pumps. The first mission carried out using fuel from the two supply tanks. The low fuel warning alarm activated but fuel gauge would have shown 85kg fuel still in tank. He would also have known how much he had at start of flight and how long he had been flying. He possibly wrongly assumed transfer pumps were on. He dismissed the fuel warning as a fault?

Sorry Ozzy but that's way off the mark. Have a read of the report and it explains the route and how much fuel would have been used at each stage. If they had not put the transfer pumps on they would have crashed after about 30 minutes but to be honest they wouldn't have taken off without them on.

Harry

I will admit it was wrong of me to speculate on the cause. I'm not a helicopter pilot outside of the X box. The pilot would have been hugely experienced to have even got the job flying police helicopters. I guess the only people that really have the answers unfortunately are no longer with us to be able to say.