dies......

I would highly recommend. You don't suffer from case stretch so no need to constantly trim cases. You will find the case lasts at least twice as long and then If you go to the trouble of neck annealing then cases will last way beyond that.

The easy check to see if you will benefit is to take a fired case and re-chamber it. If it chambers without problem then neck sizing is for you. If the bolt is tight to cock i.e. pushing down on its final position then you might not benefit (personally I would clean the case, smoke it and try again - look at where the smoke has rubbed off might give you an indication as to the cause)

I would highly recommend. You don't suffer from case stretch so no need to constantly trim cases. You will find the case lasts at least twice as long and then If you go to the trouble of neck annealing then cases will last way beyond that.

The easy check to see if you will benefit is to take a fired case and re-chamber it. If it chambers without problem then neck sizing is for you. If the bolt is tight to cock i.e. pushing down on its final position then you might not benefit (personally I would clean the case, smoke it and try again - look at where the smoke has rubbed off might give you an indication as to the cause)

I have been experimenting with a partial fl size on sticky cases that don't show neck thickness issues.

Running them through an old fl die with no expander seems to push the shoulder back nicely.

Then neck size as normal to retain your tension.

Or you can just get a redding body die.

I shouldn't bother you can still set a FLS to neck only if that's what you want just the same as a NS can be set to only size down part of the neck. Very, very few factory sporting guns genuinely shoot decernably better because someone neck sizes only, frankly its a myth taken from short range bench rest were totally different guns and accuracy standards apply. Besides which few of those lads use the same sort of press and dies and also neck turn to suit their custom chamber dimetions.

Edited by kent

I have to agree with Amazed. Only FL size just enough to achieve the desired shoulder movement and no more. What I dislike specifically with FL sizing dies is they double size the neck each time. When the case is fully inserted into the die the neck is sized undersize. When you pull the button on the decapping pin out it stretches the neck to the required size. This is the primary reason why necks fail earlier on FL dies.

If using common military calibres where the brass is cheap then early case failure is less of an issue. Kent has a point – if shooting quarry then do you need the accuracy? If the shot does the job enough said.

Just reading the other replies and have realized I have read the OP wrong, I thought he was asking about crimp dies :blush:. I still neck size as when I did it first with the .223 I did notice a difference in the group size plus I find it quicker reloading using a neck sizer as you don't need to use lube. Also I don't have to trim to length every time as I did full length sizing, I may be doing things wrong but it works for me.