First car

Beaniehurley

To put you in perspective my first car 7 years ago now was a 1.2 Renault Clio. That cost £1700 to insure fully comprehensive. Its about 3x that now for young newly passed drivers!

So much affects insurance. I moved house to a nicer area with gated access to the estate and it went up, work that one out!

Edited by Brooksy789

I will soon be able to drive and of corse need something to drive , I don't particularly want a car and am looking at mitsubisih shoguns would this be a good car , and does anybody know what the insurance would be like .

You will probably end up writing it off in a year or two so probably best not to get anything to good Oh that what I did when I was young you tend to think that you are the best driver on the road and nothing will happen to you its only later that it hits you that it takes a long time to get get to be a good driver.

If you don't really want a car there's no point spending lots on one... Cheap and cheerful all the way until you've got a few years NCB under your belt and if you decide you want something nicer save up for it a go to a dealer (especially the more independent ones) with cash in your pocket ready as it's a great bargaining tool :)

To put you in perspective my first car 7 years ago now was a 1.2 Renault Clio. That cost £1700 to insure fully comprehensive. Its about 3x that now for young newly passed drivers!

So much affects insurance. I moved house to a nicer area with gated access to the estate and it went up, work that one out!

That's because a nicer area / gated access actually means nicer cars in the area and actually a more targeted are for car theft. If someone wants a particular car they're going to get it one way or another.

If you don't really want a car there's no point spending lots on one... Cheap and cheerful all the way until you've got a few years NCB under your belt and if you decide you want something nicer save up for it a go to a dealer (especially the more independent ones) with cash in your pocket ready as it's a great bargaining tool :)

That's because a nicer area / gated access actually means nicer cars in the area and actually a more targeted are for car theft. If someone wants a particular car they're going to get it one way or another.

I thought that the days of people steeling cars except luxury ones was over with modern immobilizers in cars if you do not have the keys you are not going to be able to pinch it unless you have a Land Rover people seem to like taking them for parts as for living in a better area they probably think that you can afford to pay more.

You'd be surprised! I saw a video of CCTV footage of some guys breaking into a BMW and programming a blank key up from the ECU and then were away with the car. The more sophisticated the cars get the more sophisticated the criminals get!

Indeed or they get more violent and take the car keys from the house or you.....

I thought that the days of people steeling cars except luxury ones was over with modern immobilizers in cars if you do not have the keys you are not going to be able to pinch it unless you have a Land Rover people seem to like taking them for parts as for living in a better area they probably think that you can afford to pay more.

They just break in and steal the keys or hijack you when you're getting in / out - I know two people in separate parts of the country that it's happened to. One was hijacked on his drive as he go out and the other had his houses broken into and keys stolen along with another 4 cars in the area that night.

BMW had a huge problem they refused to admit that was an alarm black spot and a programming problem but I'll not go into much more detail on an open forum :)

Looking at the hand book for my jeep it says that you can make a clone key simply but you first have to have the two original keys + a blank cut to fit then you have to go through this long process putting all of the keys in and switching it on and off etc etc but if you just have one and want another you would have to buy one from jeep I have two keys so have not needed to try it to see if it works.

as for cleaver people being able to make clone keys that is probably rite but if you could do something like that would you not take a decent newish car to take an old banger would be daft.