Budget Equipment For Starters

J.lennox123

Right lads I'm new to air gunning and need to know some stuff about it (I genuinely know nothing). I need some advice on what I need, I know I obviously need the air rifle and scope but I their anything else I need?? Finally I'm on a budget as I'm only young (£200) for the rifle and scope and whatever for the rest. So please tell me some information about stuff and suggest a suitable rifle and and scope combination! Thanks in advance

Have you got any mates you can get out with or are you a member of any club?

An hour with experienced shooters is worth 50 pages of responses on threads like this. Also, if you are a member of a club it's worth asking around for anyone trading up or selling off their collection and you'll find something in your budget.

Good luck with finding the kit and remember to practice, practice, practice for those killshots.

Welcome to the forum btw. Worth putting a post on the intro thread too :)

Edited by Therealchucknorris

The only things you really need are the rifle, scope and pellets. Useful things are a padded bag and some gun oil to keep it working and rust free, and that is about it.

I'd suggest a second hand Weihrauch spring powered rifle would be a good solid place to start. You can pick up an HW80 or HW77 with scope for your budget or go for a new budget rifle - apparently Hatsans are quite well regarded.

Either caliber will do but I'd say .177 may be a better all-rounder for targets and (eventually) hunting, and they are cheaper than .22. Simmons, Nikko Stirling or Hawke do pretty good budget scopes - a 3-9 x 40 will be a good jack-of-all-trades.

I know you asked about stuff, but a far more important thing than stuff is knowledge and practice. Practice at different ranges, winds and with different stances. When you think you are a good shot, practice loads more.

Have fun.

Hi J.lennox123,

I'm in the same position as yourself, wanted to get into air gunning and didn't know where to start, the only thing I did know was that I wanted a springer over PCP purely from a cost and maintenance perspective. After a lot of looking around the general consensus was to go for a HW as they are quality (either new or very decent 2nd hand), in the end opted for a new HW99s (just over £200) in .177.

Another reason I got the HW99s was it had open sights, I wanted to get to grips with shooting with open sights then upgrade to a scope when Im ready and confident I have the basics understood.

Doing it this way allowed me to get a new rifle for my £200 and get something decent and the cost of a scope can come later.

Hope this helps,

Hi

i agree the HW is one of the best spring air rifles to start with very reliable and accurate,there is some good used models available at manchester air rifles on rochdale rd(i think thats the address) and if you contact the guy at http;//shootingtorches.com and tell him your situation and budget he is a great guy and will help you out and may even give you a freebie with other accessories.

prob best to find a local club and join before you commit to a purchase as i guarantee you will learn something within 10mins

good luck with the shooting

Right lads I'm new to air gunning and need to know some stuff about it (I genuinely know nothing). I need some advice on what I need, I know I obviously need the air rifle and scope but I their anything else I need?? Finally I'm on a budget as I'm only young (£200) for the rifle and scope and whatever for the rest. So please tell me some information about stuff and suggest a suitable rifle and and scope combination! Thanks in advance

Hi

i agree the HW is one of the best spring air rifles to start with very reliable and accurate,there is some good used models available at manchester air rifles on rochdale rd(i think thats the address) and if you contact the guy at http;//shootingtorches.com and tell him your situation and budget he is a great guy and will help you out and may even give you a freebie with other accessories.

prob best to find a local club and join before you commit to a purchase as i guarantee you will learn something within 10mins

good luck with the shooting

Hi and welcome, try and get out with some experienced shooters and try their guns.

Then go on freeads, airgunbbs, guntrader, or on here for a good second hand gun, you pays your money......

Good luck

Muzzie

Ps

Agent moles advice will stand you well

As above. Weihrauch springers are world class, and a good second hand one would fit into your budget. Trust me, even if in future you decide to upgrade to a PCP, you will find your Weihrauch still there in your collection many years later lol.

-Andrew

Edited by Theskyfox