Was it just a bad days shooting?

pocko3000

Last Sunday was my first visit to Stocks Farm at Puddington it was a glorious afternoon with a little bit of wind to make the clays a little more interesting.

I did a round of 75 and used the cartridges they sold and had a belter of an afternoon and hit around 3/4 of the clays.

Today I did 75 again and was hitting well under half and tbh feel a little deflated :sad1:

The weather was nearly spot on the same, the chokes were the same (1/4 and 1/2) the only varying factor was the cartridges, last week I shot using the cartridges the ground sold these were 28g 7.5 (I think) steel shot plastic wad, today I shot using Eley Firsts 28g 7.5 fibre wad.

I know you should never blame your tools but is this possibly where I have gone wrong?? I always though carts were carts stop making excuses and get on with it, but I would say my shot placements were the same as last week etc etc.

Should I have been choked differently?

Or am I looking too much into this and just had an off day?

Any feedback as always is appreciated, :good:

I use quarter and half choke regardless of where I shoot.there is a massive difference between cartridges and also some guns perform better with different ones.i have a pair of berettas and one shoots excellently with eley superbs yet will not handle very well with superfast or some of the fiochhi range.i believe you need to find a cartridge that suits you and your gun and stick with it.all goes to make consistency.

I use quarter and half choke regardless of where I shoot.there is a massive difference between cartridges and also some guns perform better with different ones.i have a pair of berettas and one shoots excellently with eley superbs yet will not handle very well with superfast or some of the fiochhi range.i believe you need to find a cartridge that suits you and your gun and stick with it.all goes to make consistency.

I use the same chokes in a 686E and recently went to a clay ground with Eley Firsts and Express Power Blues both 28g 7.5 fibre wad - the blues were fine but i could hardly hit anything with the firsts. Wish i hadnt bought 500 of them now.

I use the same chokes in a 686E and recently went to a clay ground with Eley Firsts and Express Power Blues both 28g 7.5 fibre wad - the blues were fine but i could hardly hit anything with the firsts. Wish i hadnt bought 500 of them now.

I use firsts on skeet.9 shot fibre no problems.olympics are a decent cheaper cartridge.

Last Sunday was my first visit to Stocks Farm at Puddington it was a glorious afternoon with a little bit of wind to make the clays a little more interesting.

I did a round of 75 and used the cartridges they sold and had a belter of an afternoon and hit around 3/4 of the clays.

Today I did 75 again and was hitting well under half and tbh feel a little deflated :sad1:

The weather was nearly spot on the same, the chokes were the same (1/4 and 1/2) the only varying factor was the cartridges, last week I shot using the cartridges the ground sold these were 28g 7.5 (I think) steel shot plastic wad, today I shot using Eley Firsts 28g 7.5 fibre wad.

I know you should never blame your tools but is this possibly where I have gone wrong?? I always though carts were carts stop making excuses and get on with it, but I would say my shot placements were the same as last week etc etc.

Should I have been choked differently?

Or am I looking too much into this and just had an off day?

Any feedback as always is appreciated, :good:

Steel shot shoots differently to lead, the first lot you say were steel- the next lead. Generally steel has a shorter string and is generally faster than lead over short to medium range. It could be an off day, heck you could even be lending a hand to shift a load of steel shot shells they have in stock :lol:

Personally I find I hit more crows using steel than lead, though I shoot a lot more steel than lead about 20x-30x as much in fact so it could be what I am used to now