Ohmlaut Mk6.

mick miller

Just some footage taken tonight with the latest Ohmlaut NV unit. It's not edited so please bear with me. I'll upload a better, subtitled bit of footage over the weekend.

This is just to show the unit with the tiny micro illuminator. It's smaller than the NM800, I suppose about the size of the NM400, but shorter and lighter as there is no internal battery required.

Footage shows distances out to 300 yards (the pigeon hide at the base of the pole is 300) and beyond as well as some close in stuff (40 yards and down to 10 yards) later on at magnifications between x5, x10 up to x20. Close in work with this unit means you have to slightly defocus the torch to get a flood as the dimmer is not 0-100% like the early models. However, unlike the nightmaster torches, going from flood to focus is a really simple, quick, push/ pull affair.

The last bit of the footage shows the top of the field and the trees at 500 plus yards on x5 mag.

I'll try and get out later this week to film some stuff with the 66m X Searcher. You can get around 670 yards plus with that.

Apologies for the grainy footage, I had to go from AVI to MOV and the MP4 to get it onto YouTube, just be sure that what you see through the eyepiece is a lot clearer and sharper, you also get brightness and contrast control to help improve the picture. This is the feed straight from the camera.

The hares around 2:20 are at around 250 - 300 yards away.

Edited by mick miller

I'm happy with it, given that the lens on that torch is smaller than a 50p. No need for some dirty great 66mm lens in order to get a useable add-on with a 250 yard range on foxes (or rabbits). I'm testing one more torch this week, which may yield better results. What I like is the lightness and ergonomics of it. Need to find some more interesting objects to film too!

With the 66mm it's just ridiculous. But the flood on the X Searcher is a painful, long winded affair to switch between.

Edited by mick miller

Impressive efforts. Well done.

I will watch your vids on YouTube

Edit....

May I suggest some distance boards out to read them through the camera? Just a thought ......

Not a bad idea. Maybe A3, although it would need some sort of reflector on I guess to mimic eyeshine.

I will eventually, more testing required. The little torch is the same power, as it's the same led and driver, but the lens is what makes the difference. What I'm trying to do is find something that will perform out to plus 300 yards on around x8 mag as a mean average, but not weigh a tonne, have a massive lump of glass on top of your rifle and have a flood/ focus that actually works, unlike the nightmaster range of torches.

In terms of distance/ light the simple fact is the larger then lens, the more focused the light, the more throw you get. But, having a tight bright spot of definition at 400 yards but a complete white out at shorter ranges isn't really that handy!!! Most people don't shoot, at night, a ranges of greater than 200 yards, so if I can get something which will work at 7 yards and 307 yards I think I've got the best of all worlds. And to be blunt, that's what I've managed to put together.

I will be. I want to test some more units with friends first, at least to get a month or two's feedback. I've used this type for over a year, no problems thus far.

I was looking at rabbits last night, pinged the distance with the range finder this morning and it was somewhere between 255 - 275 yards; that's on x20, with the little illuminator. You can see the eyes, body, direction, movement and backstop details fro a further 50 yards on top of that. Although, to get the best you do need to slightly adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen as you alter magnification.

I will be. I want to test some more units with friends first, at least to get a month or two's feedback. I've used this type for over a year, no problems thus far.

I was looking at rabbits last night, pinged the distance with the range finder this morning and it was somewhere between 255 - 275 yards; that's on x20, with the little illuminator. You can see the eyes, body, direction, movement and backstop details fro a further 50 yards on top of that. Although, to get the best you do need to slightly adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen as you alter magnification.

il keep an eye on you then mr miller