Pigeon Magnet & Flappers

F150

I will be shortly constructing and testing a cheap remote control device that will switch my Magnet and flappers remotely. Activation will be made by small keyfob that will transmit a signal to the receiver upto 45 yards away. I hope to make the device control the speeds of the magnet by switching different buttons on the keyfob. Ultimately, I intend to control several flappers separately from one keyfob adding a dimension of flying birds with random wing beats creating realism within the pattern. The receiver will take its power from the source battery at the device. The remote control of the devices is mainly to control the cycling of the battery by conserving power, fewer recharging times producing significantly longer battery life whilst also enabling a smaller battery to be used in the field. What do you think?

Hi Cranfield

I dont think it will be much of a problem to construct such a device. The world of RF (Radio Frequency) technology over the past few years has become cheaper and simpler. This is something I have personally wished to pursue and has no commercial significance to me. I have always believed that any movement in a pattern is better than no movement. Even since the days of the first flappers from BASC some 20+ years ago, a sudden movement of wings captures the eye of the woodie. I have found that the continuous operation of magnets or flappers can sometimes deter birds when approaching the pattern. Even in the old days of the flapper and pull-string, I wonder how many times Pigeon Watch Forum readers have experienced the stop and start of the flapper at various intervals have pulled the shyly and persuaded them to settle amongst the pattern? Many thanks for your comments.

Sounds like you'll be too busy pushing buttons and changing frequencies to worry about shooting pigeons...!!!

There really is no need for such sophisticated equipment, in what is still, essentially a fieldcraft sport.

A good days decoying is still all about being in the right place at the right time, and the recipe for success is quite simply, good reconnaissance and planning, in other words, find out where the birds are flighting from, plan accordingly, make sure nobody else gets there first, take plenty of ammo, sit back and wait....!!!!!

:yp: :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Double H

Thank you for comments and I respect your observations.

But would you agree that todays woodpigeon is a much more sophisticated species compared to its relatives some 30 years ago? The woodie is still an evolving bird who is now much more clever. If not, they would be still decoying to the simplest of decoys. It is a sportsman quest to bring his quarry within the range of his weapon and I dont think that modern technology should be disregarded to accomplish this.

F150,

Fair comment, however woodies are still not the brightest thing on two wings, when compared with, say a Magpie or a Crow, but undoubtedly, the more high tech gadgets that we employ to decoy them within range, the more that those with a low IQ will end up on their backs in the killing zone, and the smarter ones will have sussed the trick from yards out and veered off towards safer climes.

How do you manage to carry all of the gadgetry across the fields - invariably I find that the best spot for the hide just happens to be the furthest point from vehicle access?

:yp: :lol::lol:

I think the continual movement of the rotary device, can "spook" incoming pigeons.

Especially, when they are coming from a distance.

I prefer the movement of floaters, which looks a bit more conservative.

I use to have one of the old flappers, worked by pulling 50lb test mono fishing line.

It was easy to get preoccupied with the flapper and forget to shoot the birds, but it was an effective method and could turn pigeons.

Who remembers the Archie Coates trick of throwing a dead bird from the hide, to attract a passing pigeon ?

Not sure about throwing pigeons over the net but I was out shooting a couple of weeks ago and found the same trick had devestating effects with a magpie lobbed over the top? Could this be a long forgotten technique which needs re-instating?

Like Cranfield, I have thrown woodies from out of the hide which has brought birds to the decoys. I found it particularly effective when the hide is amongst trees as the the thrown bird must look like a woodie dropping from the trees. My Magnet is an exceptional crow puller when in a crow flightline despite the birds on the arms are woodies - strange eh?

hello 150

When do you think you will have sorted it out by and how much do you think they will be as I'am looking for one for my flapper. will beasleys is going to be doing one and he thinks it will be £45 I hope yours is alot cheaper or I will have tp make do with 20m of cable,

Cheers

John

Hi Johnny

I am in the process of converting my Magnet at the minute. I dont intend to commerically market it, but from what you have said it appears Will's price at £45.00 appears to be most competitive. I think my finished unit cost will be around £25.00. If my Magnet unit runs fine (I can't forsee any problems - famous last words!!), then I will try it on my flapper. If successful, I may make my plans and components available to all at Pigeon Forum members for their own construction.

Many thanks for your interest.

F150