Sparrowhawk on the kill

Peskyfoxs

Good enough pics to enter into this years Countryfile competition. Well done sir. Unfortunately the subject matter may be a little raw for many armchair wildlife lovers :(

Funny how a freshly barbecued chicken leg or a piece of crispy brown bacon steaming on a plate doesn't even register as something that was ever alive...

Thanks but I don't think I'll be spending £10 to enter for that reason alone (excluding the fact I wouldn't win) :)

Too brown to be an adult, but the tell tale sign that it's a juvenile is the buff coloured edges to the feathers on the back and upper wings, adults don't have these, they're a more uniform colour, the russet coloured edges to the feathers are what gave them their old falconry name "red hawk" or "sore hawk" meaning a bird of the year, the adult female Spar has a more ashy grey colour to the back whilst the adult male is more of a dark slatey blue, whilst the breast markings on an adult female is usually very dark brown or black ,but can contain a slight orangey tinge whilst the adult male's markings are a bright redish orange.

Jase.