National Pigeon Week

Suffolk shooter

Hi,

Discussion amongest some of my shooting mates has led us to the discussion of the dates for the Traditional Pigeon Roost shooting extravaganza which was always traditionally 14th Feb. This in recent years has been moved to the closest weekend to the 14th, but I am aware that there is now a national pigeon week!

I am told that this stretches from Saturday through to the Sunday one week on encompassing nine days. Does anybody know the exact dates to this, in order that I can arrange this with the syndicate members and the estate we shoot on?

Cheers

SS :lol:

I believe there was something that got vaguely organised each year back in the good ol' days when you could get free cartridges to shoot Woody but it proved to be too expensive and not effective enough (if at all) so was dropped. However I've a feeling BASC encourage it so ask them if they set any dates.

Had this response back today from BASC Eastern Region.

"In times gone by, the NFU used to declare National Pigeon Shooting Days which were normally the first two Saturdays in February. However, you might recall several years ago, there was an idea to shoot as many pigeons as possible on one day and thus set up a world record. This did not go down well with the general public.

Having said that, many people do go out on the first couple of weekends in February to shoot pigeons in order to stir them up, keep them on the move and try and reduce the numbers.

So, whilst there is not an officially organised event, you will find that over these two first weekends in February a lot of people are out.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards, William Heal"

So it seems that I need to look at the NFU website to see if they have arranged such dates. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers

SS <_<

Had this response back today from BASC Eastern Region.

So it seems that I need to look at the NFU website to see if they have arranged such dates. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers

SS <_<

SS I'm a member of the NFU and not to my knowledge they haven't. Stop b******** about and organise your own :lol: the more out there at the moment the better!

The syndicate that I belong to shoot roost pigeon each Saturday in February. Thay are dates that they dont manage to cock up.

It would be an idea if each PW member tried to shoot some or all Saturdays in February. The more guns that are out in different places the better.

webber

Well, I kinda woulda liked to have organised something for dates if there was a national event, but looking at NFU/BASC etc. etc. etc, it seems that there isn't so I have taken it upon myself to sort out two roost dates for the last two weekends in Feb.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

SS <_<

Mossy, will push them back down to you afterwards :lol::lol:

I've organised the beaters for each Saturday in February on our shoot in Warwickshire.

same down here folks

get out every saturday afternoon in feb keep the birds moving,try a flightline wood for the first couple of hours or a wood heavy with ivy then drop into a nice warm wood from 4pm

good luck hope you score a few times

Well, myself McF, Lancslad, Lancsdad, & 3 other members of our syndicate went roost shooting this afternoon.

We were not expecting much as the fog that was present this morning never cleared, and as dusk approached it got even thicker and started to freeze.

Enough twaddle, the score was. Pigeons = 0. Squirrels = 3

So not a complete waste of time, but there was hardly any pigeon about. I would have shot a sitter had I not tried to shoot with the safety on!!, so thats another one that got away. Lancslad and Lancsdad, both got lost, and we were considering a search party. They did eventually turn up, so we decided that next week we would all meet up in the farm yard @ 5.15. At least if they dont turn up we can lock the gate, and go look for them the week after when we go looking for dreys.

Lancslad wins the prize for being the best turned out roost shooter EVER!! Now lets not forget that some weeks ago it was suggested on this forum by others that Lancslad dressed like a hillbilly, which did consern me somewhat as I had arranged some beating for him. When he did turn up I am happy to report that he was dressed in suitable beaters atire. He really pushed the boat out today and turned up in the full tweed job, plus 4s the full monty, very nice, he did however make captain kelly look like the shoot vagrant, which went down like a lead balloon. No doubt next week he will be wearing his size 22 red boots, red nose, and revolving dickie bow.

How did others do today??

webber

Well, myself McF, Lancslad, Lancsdad, & 3 other members of our syndicate went roost shooting this afternoon.

We were not expecting much as the fog that was present this morning never cleared, and as dusk approached it got even thicker and started to freeze.

Enough twaddle, the score was. Pigeons = 0. Squirrels = 3

So not a complete waste of time, but there was hardly any pigeon about. I would have shot a sitter had I not tried to shoot with the safety on!!, so thats another one that got away. Lancslad and Lancsdad, both got lost, and we were considering a search party. They did eventually turn up, so we decided that next week we would all meet up in the farm yard @ 5.15. At least if they dont turn up we can lock the gate, and go look for them the week after when we go looking for dreys.

Lancslad wins the prize for being the best turned out roost shooter EVER!! Now lets not forget that some weeks ago it was suggested on this forum by others that Lancslad dressed like a hillbilly, which did consern me somewhat as I had arranged some beating for him. When he did turn up I am happy to report that he was dressed in suitable beaters atire. He really pushed the boat out today and turned up in the full tweed job, plus 4s the full monty, very nice, he did however make captain kelly look like the shoot vagrant, which went down like a lead balloon. No doubt next week he will be wearing his size 22 red boots, red nose, and revolving dickie bow.

How did others do today??

webber

Ill see what I can do......and may I just point out that the score was --

Squizzers 2 from the dreys, assume McF had one...

Pigeons 1 - was I the only one to bag one...........................Guess that it just proves that pigeons come to those with class......

Next week I will mostly be wearing a red nose, big wig,,,,see what I can do about the dicky bow....

McF did bag a squirrel. However as you did not declare your pigeon at the countup, it can not count, which is a pity, because you would have won the pigeon bag prize as well as the best dressed pigeon shooter prize. There are some days that you never forget, and for me last Saturday was one of them. I doubt that captain Kelly will ever forget seeing one of John Norris's manikins stood in the farm yard.

If you get the right clowns suit, you wont need a agme bag, cos the pockets will be humungous.

webber