National Pigeon Week

Suffolk shooter

Well playmates, I'm pleased to report that Lancslad was more suitably attired this week. McF cried off stating flu, and captain kelly has become a fair weather shooter, and found the comfort of his arm chair more prefereable, as there was a chance of rain. As it happened it didnt rain and there was plenty of pigeon around, albeit staratospheric. This didnt stop Lancslad and Lancsdad, who had shot up before the pigeon decided it was time to roost.

The score was pigeon = 2; squirells = 4

webber

In this neck of the the woods the first two Saturdays in Feb have traditinally been "national pigeon days". It's basically a roost shoot. All the woods are manned, keep 'em moving and kill as many as possible.

I was out today and shot 8. There is a humugus amount of woodland and copse in the area and yes, a helluva lot of it was manned, which is a good thing as it doesn't give them chance to settle. Roost shooting is not about giving high birds a bloody great salvo, it's about waiting for them to drop in the trees, under carriage down and killing them, 'cause they are pests :) and average eating :lol: .

Why do folk use such days as a reason just to get their barrels off!

Patience is a virtue. :lol:

Come on chaps, the weather looks fine for tomorrow. Who else is going roost shooting throughout February??

webber

Yo.

we are out EVERY saturday & sunday throughout the year.

Just lately the pigeon shooting has been ABYSMAL and we have shot more foxes than pigeons.

The last ones we shot(last week) were full of acorns. STILL!!!!!!

bloody nightmare.

ROLL ON the DRILLINGS.

:D:)

Dave K

DaveK you're not wrong...b***** birds everywhere but decoying's a nightmare. Drilling time might not be much better, it's so wet around here you couldn't drive a tonka toy on the fields. All the farmers are waiting for a dry out! Unfortunately the (inland) wildfowling is over 'cause there's some wonderful flocks of duck on the floods :drool: If this IS global warming then it might be time to buy a time share on a hill in the Sahara :drool:

Well, 3rd Saturday, and the best yet for us. This week we had 8 guns out. The bag was 19 pigeon, 2 squirrels, and 2 jays.

Weve got some major chainsaw work to do in the woods, as the gales a couple of weeks ago have brought down several major trees which are now blocking some of the rides.

How did you do??

webber

Well, there was four of us out last night, Me, The New Shoot Captain, The Keeper an the Keeper's lad. Took my daughter along as well for her first time out roost shooting.

We got into the woods nice and early, and te wind was starting to pick up after what had been a lovely warm day, blue skies.

We ended up with four pigeons, three dreys and a pricked Jay that kept on flying over to the next woods.

They weren't really about in any numbers though, so I think we did ok under the circumstances. Last week next week.

SS :blush:

Well my little squabs, thats it for another year for us at the roost shooting.

Today we had 6 guns out, if you count Lancslad who sneaked off home early, cos he was getting wet. So much for his squadie training. At least he shot 3 pigeon before he left. It was a rather uneventfull day. Toatal pigeon shot today = 9. squirells = 1 This season is a record for us as we have reached double figures for the first time.

How have you done??

webber