Political parties stances on shooting/hunting/field sports

OJW

Very woolly if anti response from plaid

Dear Constituent,

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in replying.

I support the EU Charter on Hunting and Biodiversity which stresses the importance of conservation and the ten point programme agreed between Birdlife International and FACE. I have had the opportunity to work with Birdlife International and I hosted an event with them on marine conservation.

As every new Parliament decides which Intergroups to support, I can't say at this stage which ones I would join.

Yours sincerely,

Jill Evans MEP for Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Party manifesto on firearms law

Here's some text from their manifesto-

Gun Control and Gun Crime

CJ500 Gun crime is a particularly serious problem and the Green Party is committed to tackling it by ensuring a high level of gun control as well as addressing the social factors which contribute to people committing crimes with guns.

Also, as well as their actual use, the presence and availability of guns and 'gun culture' contributes to fear of crime, intimidation and the reluctance of witnesses and victims to report crimes.

The Green Party is committed to introducing the following measures:

Defining lethal weapons

The lethality of a gun will be defined quantitatively in law, thereby covering new weapons resulting from developments in firearms technology.

Prohibited weapons

The most dangerous weapons will be prohibited. These include handguns, multi-shot and high calibre weapons. There will be a complete ban on the private ownership/possession of all automatic and semi-automatic firearms. A suitably constituted Gun Safety Advisory Committee will regularly review which weapons are prohibited.

Deactivated weapons

All deactivated weapons will be treated the same as active weapons in terms of prohibition and licensing, as they are capable of being reactivated and can cause fear because they appear as though active.

Licensing

A single rigorous licensing process will be put in place based on considerations of public safety rather than the convenience of shooters. Subject to relevant criteria, licenses will be issued for permitted shotguns and rifles, all lethal airguns and permitted deactivated guns.

Users of firearms for sporting or agricultural purposes will be required to demonstrate their competence in handling firearms and satisfy the authorities of their mental and emotional stability:

Applicants should also be required to obtain the signature of, say, ten citizens (just as a prospective electoral candidate) who will vouch for the good character of the licence holder. This will discourage the 'loners' and socially isolated individuals who are most at risk of committing the horror that occurred at Dunblane and Hungerford.

The cost of medical and psychological tests must be borne by the applicant, together with a new annual fee which is sufficient to repay the economic damage - to police, court and NHS - inflicted on it by the abuse of guns generally. When licences are awarded the onus will be on the applicant to demonstrate his or her suitability to handle firearms rather than on the authorities to prove the applicant's unsuitability. Licence holders will be required to renew their applications on an annual basis individuals whose licence application is rejected will be required to wait at least two years before re-applying.

Imitation weapons

There will be a complete ban on the manufacture, sale and import of imitation weapons (replica guns and blank firers) and a ban on their public possession. There will be licenses for imitation weapons used for film/theatrical purposes, and legislation to ensure toy guns are highly distinct in appearance, probably by being made of clear/translucent plastic.

I am no supporter of the Labour Party , but past history suggests they will be More friendy to shooting than the other parties. Almost all the shooting laws restricting shooting have come in under Tory govenments in the past 60 years.IE. protection of Birds acts , Wildlife and countryside act , wildlife and countryside act amendments, restrictions on some gun types after Hungerford shootings ( cant remember the name of the act ) and so on. As far as I know only one law restricting guns has come in under a Labour govenment..

Edited by anser2

I am no supporter of the Labour Party , but past history suggests they will be More friendy to shooting than the other parties. Almost all the shooting laws restricting shooting have come in under Tory govenments in the past 60 years.IE. protection of Birds acts , Wildlife and countryside act , wildlife and countryside act amendments, restrictions on some gun types after Hungerford shootings ( cant remember the name of the act ) and so on. As far as I know only one law restricting guns has come in under a Labour govenment..

Don't forget that only full bore pistols were to be banned under the conservatives but labour added rimfires too. What about VCR act? Hunting ban? And lots of little chips at civil liberties in general.

Trust me labour are far from friendly to shooting/countryside just look at where most of their MPs constituencies are. Urban areas.

Applicants should also be required to obtain the signature of, say, ten citizens (just as a prospective electoral candidate) who will vouch for the good character of the licence holder. This will discourage the 'loners' and socially isolated individuals who are most at risk of committing the horror that occurred at Dunblane and Hungerford. What a joke! I don't know 10 people who would meet the criteria currently set as a person allowed to sign. The local doctor charges £30 to sign a photo (luckily mine doesn't), imagine if you had to shell out circa £300 quid for signatures from lawyers and other professionals that have know you for X years.

The cost of medical and psychological tests must be borne by the applicant, together with a new annual fee which is sufficient to repay the economic damage - to police, court and NHS - inflicted on it by the abuse of guns generally. When licences are awarded the onus will be on the applicant to demonstrate his or her suitability to handle firearms rather than on the authorities to prove the applicant's unsuitability. Thats just totally wrong.

Edited by OJW

My first response from one of the Labour candidates..

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

During my 15 years as MEP I have taken a big interest in animal rights and animal welfare issues and I take the treatment of all domestic, farm and wild animals very seriously.

However, I also take into consideration the needs of local communities and businesses and can assure you that as an MEP, I listen to a broad range of voices on any issue I am working on. Indeed it is part of our duty as Members of European Parliament to ensure we are exposed to all sides of a debate.

If I am re-elected, you can be assured I will listen to the points of view of FACE on all relevant issues I am working on. I cannot commit to join any inter groups until I know whether I am re-elected as my membership of inter groups will be dictated by the work load from the committees I am assigned to.

Once again, thank you for getting in touch with me.

Kind regards

Catherine

Catherine Stihler MEP

Labour MEP for Scotland

response from UKIP

Thank you for contacting me, regarding the upcoming EU elections, and my position on firearms/shooting sports.

I am sure you may have heard Nigel Farage’s intervention on this, he mentioned that he felt it was wrong to have blanket banned hand guns, and that it is madness that our olympic shooting team have to practice outside of the UK.

I am not opposed in any shape of form to the legitimate use of firearms, my in-laws are American and have many firearms in the home, which is quite normal over there.

The chairman of UKIP Wales was a police armed officer, and is still a keen shooter, and as a young army cadet, I was trained to use the Lee Enfield (a long time ago!) which was very enjoyable.

I wish your sport well, have many friends who enjoy clay pigeon shooting, and am aware that it is criminals that kill people with illegal guns, much more so since the ban.

Sincerely,

Nathan Gill

UKIP Wales

second response, again from Labour:

Dear Mr Clark,

Thank-you very much for taking the time to write to me.

As Vice-President of the Animal Welfare Intergroup, which is made up from members of every political bloc in the Parliament, I take the treatment of both wild and captive animals very seriously.

However, I think this protection should take into consideration the needs of local communities and businesses. I can assure you that as a MEP, I listen to a broad range of voices on any issue I am working on. Indeed it is part of our duties as Members of European Parliament to ensure that we are exposed to all sides of a debate and the Animal Welfare Intergroup regularly consults organisations such as FACE.

Best wishes,

David

David Martin MEP

Labour MEP for Scotland

Thank you for your email about shooting.

My personal guiding principle is "do no harm". And I believe that the proper translation of "dominion" in the the Biblical text (Genesis 1:26) is that humans were given stewardship of, not licence to do what we we want with, other creatures.

It is clear from the scientific and practical point of view that we humans need other forms of life, though most of them do not need us. It is a complex web.

So for several reasons I believe we have to conserve habitats and wildlife. I am absolutely committed to these causes if I am elected to the European Parliament.

Shooting of wild creatures in winter in moderation is a way to obtain food and keep wildlife populations to a sustainable size to reduce deaths from starvation or disease. However, that is stewardship. It is not as such a sport.

Personally I do not support the killing of anything for amusement or pleasure. It is not stewardship: it is repellent. I hope that over time, and with education, people who kill for sport will find some more constructive activity to do, such as eco-tourism, which can turn wildlife, natural habitats and wild places into income-producing assets for their inhabitants as well as enjoyable experiences for visitors.

Shooting has made it all too easy to kill wild creatures. As our species multiplies we are more and more of a threat to wildlife. In the USA shooting for no reason other than idle whim led to the extinction of the passenger pigeon, which was once abundant. That is a blot on human history.

I was shocked to learn of the scandal over the criminal trapping and killing of protected species of birds in Malta (not by any means the only place where this happens). There are many reasons for staying in the EU; conservation of migratory species is one of them. It would be even harder to conserve them without the legislative powers of the EU.

The commercial raising of semi-wild game birds for mass slaughter is very problematic. Raising grouse broods on moors conflicts with the ecological objective of conserving hen harriers. See the attached paper on the subject. However, game produced in this way does provide a healthy food and does enjoy freedom to live a natural albeit short life. So it compares favourably with farming from the animal welfare point of view.

For these reasons I do not at present support shooting sports though neither am I absolutely opposed to shooting. I do not propose to join the Intergroup you mention, though some MEPs in the ALDE group, to which my party belongs, do.

I would be prepared to support shooting sports if they were shown to be the best way to conserve wildlife and habitats. If elected, I would of course be available to be lobbied on this issue.

Kind regards,

Jo Hayes.

Published and promoted by Ian Horner on behalf of Jo Hayes (Liberal Democrats), Orwell House, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0PP.

Yep, thought the same.

What a looney. <_<

Yep, had the same.

Thank you for your email about shooting.

My personal guiding principle is "do no harm". And I believe that the proper translation of "dominion" in the the Biblical text (Genesis 1:26) is that humans were given stewardship of, not licence to do what we we want with, other creatures.

It is clear from the scientific and practical point of view that we humans need other forms of life, though most of them do not need us. It is a complex web.

So for several reasons I believe we have to conserve habitats and wildlife. I am absolutely committed to these causes if I am elected to the European Parliament.

Shooting of wild creatures in winter in moderation is a way to obtain food and keep wildlife populations to a sustainable size to reduce deaths from starvation or disease. However, that is stewardship. It is not as such a sport.

Personally I do not support the killing of anything for amusement or pleasure. It is not stewardship: it is repellent. I hope that over time, and with education, people who kill for sport will find some more constructive activity to do, such as eco-tourism, which can turn wildlife, natural habitats and wild places into income-producing assets for their inhabitants as well as enjoyable experiences for visitors.

Shooting has made it all too easy to kill wild creatures. As our species multiplies we are more and more of a threat to wildlife. In the USA shooting for no reason other than idle whim led to the extinction of the passenger pigeon, which was once abundant. That is a blot on human history.

I was shocked to learn of the scandal over the criminal trapping and killing of protected species of birds in Malta (not by any means the only place where this happens). There are many reasons for staying in the EU; conservation of migratory species is one of them. It would be even harder to conserve them without the legislative powers of the EU.

The commercial raising of semi-wild game birds for mass slaughter is very problematic. Raising grouse broods on moors conflicts with the ecological objective of conserving hen harriers. See the attached paper on the subject. However, game produced in this way does provide a healthy food and does enjoy freedom to live a natural albeit short life. So it compares favourably with farming from the animal welfare point of view.

For these reasons I do not at present support shooting sports though neither am I absolutely opposed to shooting. I do not propose to join the Intergroup you mention, though some MEPs in the ALDE group, to which my party belongs, do.

I would be prepared to support shooting sports if they were shown to be the best way to conserve wildlife and habitats. If elected, I would of course be available to be lobbied on this issue.

Kind regards,

Jo Hayes.

Published and promoted by Ian Horner on behalf of Jo Hayes (Liberal Democrats), Orwell House, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0PP.

Thank you for your email. I support and protect the right of people to engage in legal shooting activities which are an integral part of rural life enjoyed by many people. I am concerned for the preservation of the rural economy and the social and financial encouragement that rural activities give to sustaining this important sector of our society.

I understand that in Britain there are just over 170,000 firearms licences and around 620,000 shotgun licences on issue. These weapons are monitored closely and their storage and security regularly checked. Young people should be trained in their safe use.

The Conservative Party will continue to support and protect the right of people to engage in legal shooting activities.

I have noted and filed your requests and if elected I will review the activities I am able to engage in.

Kind regards,

Margaret

Mrs M R Simons

Conservative candidate for the European elections East of England @Margaret_Simons www.margaretsimons.co.uk