kids play area bark > concrete/astroturf

novice cushie shooter

Hi guys need bulilders advice, i have a 36 square metre kids play area boxed in by kerbing stones. The base currently is a sand concrete mix 2:1 with 2 pea gravel drainage channels and 2 inch of bark with a liner to separate. I want to put astro down but am i able to put a concrete base(4inch) over the current sand/concrete one?? If so which concrete is best.

any help advice is greatly appriciated.

What you need under play equipment depends on the fall height. I have various play equipment, the new assault coarse we put in has a low level fall height so grass is fine. Swings and slides, we have need 12" of sand or equivalent products.

If this is something the public are using you best check what you need or expect a Solicitors letter.

What you need under play equipment depends on the fall height. I have various play equipment, the new assault coarse we put in has a low level fall height so grass is fine. Swings and slides, we have need 12" of sand or equivalent products.

If this is something the public are using you best check what you need or expect a Solicitors letter.

not having a go ,but low level fall height so grass is fine , my lad has just fell on a trampoline nice soft landing wasn't bouncing just tripped , just had extensive surgery as he broke his elbow and arm plates and screws to fix, point to wot I'm saying no matter how or we're you fall it hurts

not having a go ,but low level fall height so grass is fine , my lad has just fell on a trampoline nice soft landing wasn't bouncing just tripped , just had extensive surgery as he broke his elbow and arm plates and screws to fix, point to wot I'm saying no matter how or we're you fall it hurts

All I can do is use safety surface as recommended by My local council / H & S. It still does not stop children getting hurt.

I do think that injuries happen however careful you are, part of growing up. I fell of just about everything from bikes, climbing frames, swings, horses, surf boards, motorbikes etc. broke a few bones and got stitched back together more times than I care to remember. Children cannot be wrapped in bubble wrap, all we can do is limit the dangers.

I hope your son recovers quickly.

Its for my garden for personal use for my kids. Max fall height is 5 ft.

You still have a duty of care to your kids and any of their freinds who might be invited round to use the play area. I assume your kids have freinds ? I would be tempted to take advice from a proper MUGA approved supplier as to which substrait is suitable.

This link may help

http://www.softsurfaces.co.uk/muga.php

My kids are always supervised whether outside or in and am well aware i have a duty of care for them. Thats not what i am asking. Thanks for the link i will contact them.

Sorry I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your suitability as a parent just trying to point out that although its a private play area the same regulations would apply.

In that case you would need 3.6m3 of concrete... or 4 m3 at about £95 per m3 plus a £45 per m3 part load charge for the 2m3 out of the standard 6 m3 load not carried ..excluding Vat this would be £470.

I would suggest you use a Gen 3 Mix medium workability to BS EN 206-1...the supplier will know what you mean.