Communal Shotmaker Anyone?

Seems to me if you want to roll your own you only have two choices.

1/ Buy a shotmaker, spend weeks getting it to work, make a drum of shot then stick it under the sink for the next five years or stick it on fleabay.

2/ Make a shotmaker and follow the above.

It seems to me that once you've had a mad few hours and run out of scrap lead your unlikely to need to set the garage alight again for quite some time. I am unfortunately a die hard tinkerer and am looking into making a dripper but as so many times before, I hate the idea of it sitting idle for years afterwards. Its also going to be quite a posh one so I doubt the second hand market will be prepared to cough up enough for me to part with it.

After some serious bonce scratching and several back of beer mats later I have a design. I have some bits en rout from china and I have pestered and plied a welding alcoholic to give it a bash for slightly less than my daughters good name. It will be a plug and play unit. The least titting about as humanly possible. Heats itself, primes itself and feeds itself. Hopefully.

My question is; would it be a BAD idea (once I have my supply) to pass it round a bit. In other words would anyone be interested in paying for the postage to their house, filling up on shot then posting it off to the next sucker, I mean member. Or do you think it would all end in tears a broken unit and several deaths.

Just an idea........................ got to make it yet.

Iain.

Think iv got the general gist but heating the top feed area will be the hardest task,

Being able to heat the lead in two separate chambers will keep a perfect flow rate to the drippers, eventually :good:

Don't thread the primary feed hole, just use a taper stopper instead mate.

Nice idea and offer bud.

Bta

Please enlighten us of how this works

Deershooter

The hopper and pan are heated via the drilled holes with these (industrial cartridge heaters);

27219_zpscf518015.jpg

Temperature is automatically controlled by P.I.D.;

1000x10001_zps961834e8.jpg

Your lead ingots are melted in the hopper and allowed to run into the pan where temperature is maintained and flow controlled via the valve.

I would hope that the guess work can then be eliminated (or at least prolonged set up and constant adjustment) as regards temp and pan volume to regulate dripper rate and help with uniform production.

Drippers and ramp are not shown in the sketch as I would think most know where they go.

Edited by Acid House

Think iv got the general gist but heating the top feed area will be the hardest task,

Being able to heat the lead in two separate chambers will keep a perfect flow rate to the drippers, eventually :good:

Don't thread the primary feed hole, just use a taper stopper instead mate.

Nice idea and offer bud.

Not familiar with a taper stopper. How do you fine adjust without a thread?

Edited by Acid House

A taper stopper with a slit in it, this will allow flow, and if the hole had a like for like protrusion, once the taper is spun it would then become a plug ?

Your idea wont stop the flow, not ideal if all isn't going to plan !! :lol:

Just a thought............

Bta

I didnt know I had an idea on the tap..... :blush: I was just thinking of a long bolt with a slot up the thread. The head of the bolt would flush up to the bottom of the hopper to stop flow. The only down side I could think of was it would work the opposite way to a standard tap (clockwise to open)

I cant see me rushing out to buy a lathe to make cones and slots and the like so I'll have to get some hexperimenting done. :good: