Range finding using a laser sight?

scoobie007

Yes I use a hawke LRF 900. This has a rang of 1000 metres, they also do a 200, 400 and a 600 metre rang finder. Its a fantastic bit if kit, small light weight and takes all the guess work out of range. The LRF 900 is around £190 but well worth the money. Forget what you thought was 50 or 100 yards etc as this unit will show you just how far your guess work is actually out.

Morning chaps

Has anyone had much success using a laser sight to help judge range?.

Just looking for something to help me get my eye back in after a few years absence.

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean a laser rangefinder or a scope with laser built in?

A rangefinder is the most accurate way of doing it but there is a method of using a laser mounted high above the scope with scope and laser having the same zero. There's a member on AAOC called Morgan who uses that system and is very good with it. Known as "LOAS" or Laser On A Stick.

Regards

Tim

Very small differences make a big difference in airguns. My opinion is lasers are not allowed competitively and are impractical on live quarry at airgun range. The best use of them might be out practicing what ranges look like by estimation then pinging them to grade the accuracy of your guess. Leaning the accuracy of your stride with a tape is almost as good at airgun ranges

Very small differences make a big difference in airguns. My opinion is lasers are not allowed competitively and are impractical on live quarry at airgun range. The best use of them might be out practicing what ranges look like by estimation then pinging them to grade the accuracy of your guess. Leaning the accuracy of your stride with a tape is almost as good at airgun ranges

OK so you see bunny and then walk towards bunny counting your steps?

A laser range finder will allow you to get an accurate fix on bunny distance without spooking bunny! After all in an open field you might get all Father Dougal

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Best to make sure

Edited by secretagentmole

Do you mean a laser like a beamshot ? If so I found in practise they were more trouble than they was worth . They needed to be mounted so high above the scope to allow accurate range finding I was forever knock them out of zero. If your asking about a laser rangefinder I think they are a excellent piece of kit, I use one for everything from bowhunting through to using a centre fire . For hide shooting they are ideal , I very rarely bother ranging a animal that can cost you a shot ,what I do is range various trees or wherever I think I'm going to get shot then I know if a shot presents itself I have a very good idea how far it is. I often take a rangefinder to work or just walking the dog and try to guess how far various objects are then double check against the rangefinder , you soon get quite good at it

Do you mean a laser like a beamshot ? If so I found in practise they were more trouble than they was worth . They needed to be mounted so high above the scope to allow accurate range finding I was forever knock them out of zero. If your asking about a laser rangefinder I think they are a excellent piece of kit, I use one for everything from bowhunting through to using a centre fire . For hide shooting they are ideal , I very rarely bother ranging a animal that can cost you a shot ,what I do is range various trees or wherever I think I'm going to get shot then I know if a shot presents itself I have a very good idea how far it is. I often take a rangefinder to work or just walking the dog and try to guess how far various objects are then double check against the rangefinder , you soon get quite good at it

OK so you see bunny and then walk towards bunny counting your steps?

A laser range finder will allow you to get an accurate fix on bunny distance without spooking bunny! After all in an open field you might get all Father Dougal

[VIDEO]

Best to make sure

You completely and utterly miss the point. airgun quarry is generally too close to mess around with a laser, just a few hops and its soon 5 yards further or nearer. Practice of visual ranging and reducing your range to 35 yards no matter how good you think you are will put more quarry in the bag. More than 35? Less than 35? How much less / more? slowly raise your gun and kill it. airgun shooting on live quarry is all about getting close enough

I say your theorising as when your around 35 yards from your quarry, flashing glass, movements or sounds need to be minimised. Most who have shot enough quarry in the field soon get this fact. Even when in a high seat for deer the rangefinder is best used in advance making written or mental notes as the ranges to features. Minimise movement raise the gun slowly and take the shot or pass it up as too far, what next checking on your phone app for windage allowance and using a wind meter? Fair enough if you are a few hundred yards off with a centre fire but at airgun ranges no way

What rangefinders are really good for is practice at learning range

Forget laser rangefinders with capabilities of 1000m or whatever, this is not a gulf war bombing mission.

I think they are brilliant devices and I would not be without one but you have to find one that measures up close.

10 yards is about as close as they will measure and that is good, 5 yards is better.

So the question to ask is "what is the closest range that it will measure". Manufacturers are very good at giving maximum distances but you may have to dig a bit to find the near distance, the one that matters.

If you can find one with a backlight that too would be excellent for use at night or in low light conditions.

I have Nikon Laser 550 (down to 11 yards) and Bushnell Yardage pro sport 450 (down to 5 yards), the Nikon is better quality and 'nicer' but they both do the same job.

Sorry kent but I must disagree. If you are not sure about your ranging skills, ESPECIALLY with an air rifle, it is important to get some help IMO. As you say - Very small differences make a big difference in airguns

What better way than to use a laser rangefinder which you can have on a lanyard round your neck. Nothing impractical at all about that.... I agree that over time using a rangefinder, your own ranging skill will improve, but lets face it, why would you then not use it?

I have been shooting a good while now and although I dont use the rangefinder constantly, its a good tool just to double check if you aren't sure. :hmm:

Edited by peek-at

You completely and utterly miss the point. airgun quarry is generally too close to mess around with a laser, just a few hops and its soon 5 yards further or nearer. Practice of visual ranging and reducing your range to 35 yards no matter how good you think you are will put more quarry in the bag. More than 35? Less than 35? How much less / more? slowly raise your gun and kill it. airgun shooting on live quarry is all about getting close enough

I say your theorising as when your around 35 yards from your quarry, flashing glass, movements or sounds need to be minimised. Most who have shot enough quarry in the field soon get this fact. Even when in a high seat for deer the rangefinder is best used in advance making written or mental notes as the ranges to features. Minimise movement raise the gun slowly and take the shot or pass it up as too far, what next checking on your phone app for windage allowance and using a wind meter? Fair enough if you are a few hundred yards off with a centre fire but at airgun ranges no way

What rangefinders are really good for is practice at learning range

You completely miss the point too, if shooting on ground with little range identification (ie a heavily grazed field) and you see a rabbit at distance, is it a big rabbit at 45 metres or a smaller rabbit at 35? It is not always possible to tell and an air rifle is capable of delivering a killer shot to a rabbit at 50 metres. It is not always possible to stalk up to the target either. So you can either wait and pray it comes closer, or using your MAP reticle deliver a killer shot!

You completely miss the point too, if shooting on ground with little range identification (ie a heavily grazed field) and you see a rabbit at distance, is it a big rabbit at 45 metres or a smaller rabbit at 35? It is not always possible to tell and an air rifle is capable of delivering a killer shot to a rabbit at 50 metres. It is not always possible to stalk up to the target either. So you can either wait and pray it comes closer, or using your MAP reticle deliver a killer shot!

Your stuck in gadget mode, how does a guy judge if a pigeon, duck, goose or pheasant is in range in flight? flawed argument IMO

Sorry kent but I must disagree. If you are not sure about your ranging skills, ESPECIALLY with an air rifle, it is important to get some help IMO. As you say - Very small differences make a big difference in airguns

What better way than to use a laser rangefinder which you can have on a lanyard round your neck. Nothing impractical at all about that.... I agree that over time using a rangefinder, your own ranging skill will improve, but lets face it, why would you then not use it?

I have been shooting a good while now and although I dont use the rangefinder constantly, its a good tool just to double check if you aren't sure. :hmm:

Practice first hunt later. Its a misconception you need to see all the ranges, just learn you maximum well. All rangefinders will do for an airgunner in the field is encourage shots that are beyond the shooters ability, like all long range shooting its not the drop its the wind. Take a walk out with the range finder and play a 35 yard game with yourself nearer?, further?, spot on?, just take your guess ping it then pace it. A week or a fortnight of this and you get pretty darn good. Trying to get all ranges out to the extremity of FT events and you will likely never get it close enough but you will be wounding and missing a lot of quarry in the field if you try those ranges in the field.

Morning chaps

Has anyone had much success using a laser sight to help judge range?.

Just looking for something to help me get my eye back in after a few years absence.

Thanks in advance.

Yes........it will help you get your eye back in and give you more confidence that you are using the right aim point for the range of your target. Even after you have been back at it for a while you will likely still refer to it now and again, even if its just for confirmation purposes. I personally think it is an essential bit of kit.

Your stuck in gadget mode, how does a guy judge if a pigeon, duck, goose or pheasant is in range in flight? flawed argument IMO

Think you're wide of the mark here Kent. I can't recall agreeing with Mole thus far but he's bang on here. He even pointed out a few cheaper laser rangefinders recently when a chap was looking for the bottom end of the market and he accused me of being too obsessed with features (which are actually important to me here but that's an aside).

When was the last time you took a pigeon, duck, goose or pheasant in flight with an airgun or a rifle for that matter? I use a shotgun and when there's c. 200 pellets flying towards the bird in a stream the distance to the yard is far less important than if you're looking for a head shot on a rabbit with a sub 12ft lb airgun. You can judge the speed of the bird, pull through and pull the trigger with a good degree of confidence that you'll get a good kill. You need more accuracy for ground game so your argument is flawed here IMO

Yes, people should have recognised points to mark out the range from good static points but quarry doesn't always comply and people also like to go for a wander. It's only fair and the most humane method to employ a good range finding technique and for most of us that don't have Terminator style inbuilt range finding, the laser rangefinder is a handy tool.

Edited by Therealchucknorris