probably a silly question...?

naddan28

Basically guys, i have been offered a shotgun by the farmer i shoot for. However it is a SbS AYA, now i wondered is this going to be any harder to use than a OU and will I find it hard to switch to a OU in a couple of years time when i have a lot more money? I dont want to be the SbS and then find that after 3 yrs solid working on my aim etc I am going to have to relearn everything for a OU/Semi. As ideally in later life I plan for a 12g semi, 12 ou/sbs, 20g/28g (for kids and light game) and a .17hmr for the rabbits. It just seems most new guns are all OU or semi so i am curious as to the probs from switching between the two or using both a SBS and a OU.

Thanks guys,

Dan

hi ive got both o/u and sbs

i have no trouble going from o/u to sbs on 2 rounds of clays

but if i shoot the sbs first i shoot like a t**t with the o/u 2nd round

i only really got it for a change and a bit of fun to give the others a chance

i would say if its cheap enough get it

as HD said double trigger takes getting used to but thats all part of it

some say more muzzle flip but ive never noticed

if you do get it enjoy

eagleye

HD, what exactly is a gun fit? How do you undertake one? I know everyone chats about them but and i can understand the idea that it is insuring the gun actually fits your body frame/size. However, what do you to work out a gun fit? Obviously being it was the first shotgun I have ever shot, I really dont have a clue whether it fitted or not! All i know is it was a SBS AYA that was bloody loud and kicked like a mule! Also, when shooting a shotgun do you typically close one eye? As when shooting my air rifle I have to fire left handed, as i cant shut me right eye on its own. But the 12g kicked so much I dont know whether I could fire it from my left!

This will probably go against the grain, however, i have done most of my shooting with an over and under, but recently bought an aya no4 as a rough / game / knockaround gun. and i must admit i find myself being drawn to use the side by side more and more, it has short barrels and is light weight, easy to carry around all day and fast to come to the shoulder. I've shot clays with it a few times and it does recoil alot more than an over and under. I still shoot better with an over and under, but i do enjoy my side by side.

As regards gunfit, it's all a case of how naturally the gun comes into the shoulder and where it lines up. as long as it doesnt feel uncomfortable when you mount i wouldnt bother having it fitted / adjusted untill you've got more settled into shooting.

just my thoughts on it, hope this helps

If you shoot well with it, I'd grab it. You can't beat a S/S for character, and they are really nice guns for field stuff. I don't have one, mainly because I found a Beretta O/U was a perfect fit for me. Any gun that goes bang and brings things down for you is good. You keep both eyes open usually, and move the gun with the rest of your body. A good fit means that you are always looking down the rib of the gun when you comfortably mount the gun, so in time you don't even look at it when you shoot. It should move with you, and hit where you are looking :good: