Springer under compression

Fisherman Mike

In my experience short stretches have no detrimental affect with some springs, back in the day I bought a new HW80 which was a little over the limit so I deliberately left it cocked in order to reduce it to sensible levels, doing so for a few hours made no difference so I left it cocked for several days only to find it fell to 8 ft lbs ! So off I went and bought a new Air Force spring which had a good reputation, this whacked things right up to 14.8 :| so again I started experimenting by leaving it cocked for long periods which made little difference so in the end I had to start cutting coils off.

To cut a long story short being inexperienced I cut too many coils off and ended up with around 9 or 10 ft lbs so like a genius I started experimenting by assembling the gun with a combination of the cut down Air Force spring and a few coils cut from the original factory spring, I made sure the flat ends lay against one another inside the guide rail and believe it or not it made not a jot of difference to how smoothly the gun operated but incredibly the power shot up to over 15 ft lbs. :blush:

I wasn't getting anywhere so I assembled the gun with a weak spring and not long after it got stolen from the boot of my Montego; chavsky must have looked a right tit trying to show off to his mates with this parful 8 ft lbs HW80 :lol::lol: .

More recently a friend borrowed my BSA Lightning and when getting it back I found out the fool always left it cocked :no: under his bed so he could jump up and shoot the magpies in his garden that were causing problems. I hadn't previously chrono'd this gun but was relieved when it registered 11+ when I got home.

Edited by Hamster

I leant my Norica Dragon Carbine .22 to my neighbour. The rifle is 8 months old and fortunately under warranty. Now he swears that he never left it cocked but it suddenly developed a fault of the spring not decompressing to its full size and thus rattling. This has been fixed under warranty is firing fine. The report back after being fixed was that the spring had lost 8mm in length. I will let you guys decide how this happened :-)

Hi, it won't be a problem at all. You can leave it cocked all day whilst you are out on the shoot and it will have no impact on your spring. However, you should obviously

take into consideration the safety aspects and remember to de-cock it at the end of the day.

The the technical people out there.....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1328879812/How+long+can+you+leave+a+springer+cocked-

Scroll up to the third post from the bottom, there is a chart with the results of leaving various guns cocked over various amounts of time

and the affect on performance of the gun.

As an addition, if you need to get a springers power reduced its best to get it done properly by taking coils off the main spring.

-Andrew