.223 or 22.250

davesw

Well not long got in after a lovely afternoon/evening shooting with my 22.250. A few bunnies and crows and a cub that was really the intended quarry in the first place. I didn't loose sight of anything I actually hit but there again there's not many who would walk up to the top of cardiac hill with a rifle weighing in at 14 lb. Lol

shot from 160yards to 235yards. I do love my shooting ;-)

night night.

Very good for you, just consider along the lines of this thread and the OPs question it was no advantage to do that with the 22-250 over a .223 . Lighter smaller actioned gun could have equally done that, in deed it can be done with the very smallest of CF rifles

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting in for variation on new set up for foxing had a .223 which I was happy with but fancy a 22.250 any opinions good or bad ?.

My answers were actually based on Daves question.

My simple answer was get whatever you fancy.

Dave also asked for opinions, i am sure he has now got a few, yours included Kent so dont worry me old fruit. You may have been some use.

Anyway must get back to work, then i can go shooting again.

Lots of love dougy :cool1:

Interesting debate here. All I would add is (my opinion - worth what you've paid for it etc!) that there is little point in down loading a cartridge to the point that it shoots like another. Far too much for me to have to think about. I have shot 50 and 55gn bullets from my .22-250 and have some 40gn ready to try, but whatever bullet I choose its going to be pushed to .22-250 velocities, not down loaded. What advantage would I have from down loading? Cost? - very marginal. Noise and blast? - really though?

Interesting debate here. All I would add is (my opinion - worth what you've paid for it etc!) that there is little point in down loading a cartridge to the point that it shoots like another. Far too much for me to have to think about. I have shot 50 and 55gn bullets from my .22-250 and have some 40gn ready to try, but whatever bullet I choose its going to be pushed to .22-250 velocities, not down loaded. What advantage would I have from down loading? Cost? - very marginal. Noise and blast? - really though?

Downloaded to .22 Hornet levels you can still pick up small game for the pot (it wont be much quieter or cheaper though as volume is not massively decreased of the powder, its a type change). If you don't need 4000 fps for a job then why loose even 500 in terms of round count? Run it at less :good: Now I 100% know that out lamping I aint going to take a shot past 200 as a miss makes a lamp shy fox or a wounded one so .223 levels are all I or anyone else needs at this range. Out covering large open areas at break of light pretty much anything is going to be game on with a full throttle load if things look good for vermin and fox but you honestly need to be the far end of 300+ to see much tangible gain in a 250 over the .223. and the ability

Well I'm going to change my .222 for a .22-250 because a house move has put reloading on hold for the foreseeable future and I'm struggling to get the factory ammo I want for the triple. I'm going for the 250 over a .223 for no other reason than personal prejudice. I like the 250, I don't particularly like the .223. Don't know why, I just don't. Probably I just don't like following the herd.

I've shot 300 yard foxes with the triple and it'll head shoot 200 yard rabbits all day long. I expect the 250 to do the same and more and it'll be better for the odd bit of muntjac shooting I do and I'll have a better choice of factory ammo. Have to say, a friend has a 250 and I've never had any trouble seeing the shot strike. But then when I'm shooting off sticks I can generally see the strike from my unmoderated m595 .308 (which did surprise me when I first got it). I think it has as much to do with the rifle as the cartridge.

My 22-250 steyr ssg is pretty accurate. With a S&B pmii in Apel mounts it is sub minute-of-crow at 200!

Mine Steyr Varmint 22.250 was dire with factory ammo, it had a very long throat, reloading 20 thou further out made it better but only to about 2 moa. Sold it to a stalker friend in the end.

When it connected it was a hell of a killer though, last thing I shot with it was a crow, head on at about 90 yards, 55gr NBT, split it in half.

A