CLA - Sporting Dog Pavilion cancelled this year - Hmmmmmmmmm

From their Facebook page and very strongly decried by many. What's the betting the space made by this gets taken up by double glazing companies and ground breaking potato peeler demonstrations?

With regret, due the advice of those involved in the Sporting Dog Pavilion (SDP) regarding dog welfare, which is of paramount importance to the CLA Game Fair, we are saddened to have been left with no choice other than not to run the SDP this year.

The SDP has grown year on year, with requirements increased from Blenheim 2011. We appreciate that people give up their time to facilitate this featu...re and we have done what we can to provide an alternative camping area, a short distance from the showground with tractor-trailer transport. When we designed the layout which is almost identical to that which we have used for the last 4 Game Fairs at Blenheim, we have to look at the event as a whole and endeavour to accommodate all our features.

The participants and organisers of the Sporting Dog Pavilion have advised that the travel to and from the proposed campsite to the SDP, along with time spent within the SDP will put the dogs welfare as risk; we of course cannot take this risk.

Despite the CLA Game Fair investing more than £10,000 in kennels and infrastructure new for this year, the team overseeing the SDP still felt that the suggestion of using the proposed campsite, would make the SDP unworkable this year. The CLA Game Fair is extremely disappointed with this result, and is open to options for non profit features to fill the space.

We look forward to welcoming the SDP back next year!

Dogs are indeed allowed but the SDP bit was where you met up with the rarer breeds and their breeders/handlers and was a really good bit of the show where you could interact freely with both. It was at the CLA where I decided on a Clumber.

Very sad that an apparent lack of space means it doesn't happen this year.

Sounds like handbags at dawn, and somebody's bluff has been called.

I totally agree. Talk about over reaction, have you seen some if the comments on the cla page?. Totally over the top. Sounds to me like they have demanded tickets,camping etc and got told to **** right off.

the gun dog side of the show is the only reason i would want to go , but not now , shame

Gundogs will still feature heavily and the various competitions and demonstrations will still be on, it is just the sporting dog pavilion that will not be there, which is basically a tent full of the various Gundog breeds.

The sdp is a tent about 50ft x 20ft with 4ft x 4ft fenced off pens inside. Inside the pens are a few examples of each of the various breeds of gundogs. In my experience they are usually asleep. There will be examples of every gundog known to man being dragged around the gamefair, because the dogs enjoy it ??????, so if anyone needs to know about a breed just stop and ask them. I am convinced that most dogs are taken to the gamefair so the owners can "fit in" and prove they are dog lovers. It would be easier for them, and definitely for the dogs, to just walk around with a t shirt bearing the slogan " i own a dog-please talk to me".

Edited by cocker boy