Beer gas bottle.

Jamesy79

the simple answer to your question is NO,

beer gas bottles have oxygen in them and this can be highly explosive,also if you told a dive shop what it was being used for they would not fill it,

get a Divers bottle or a hills pump but under No circumstances should you use a beer air cylinder

atb Evo

Cheers Evo. I have a chance of getting one for nothing, but just needed to know if it was good to use.

you could use any cylinder to store air in but it would firstly need to be tested and stamped , the cylinder is just to hold the pressured whatever,but in beer cylinders you have different gases ie 70/30 50/50 so they don't just have air,

I asked the same question a while back at my dive center and they stipulated under no circumstances would they fill one for air rifle purposes, was a bit gutted as I have loads of the things at our pub just sitting there

hope this helps,

cheers Evo

the simple answer to your question is NO,

beer gas bottles have oxygen in them and this can be highly explosive,also if you told a dive shop what it was being used for they would not fill it,

get a Divers bottle or a hills pump but under No circumstances should you use a beer air cylinder

atb Evo

Evo

I'm sorry but I have to correct part of the information that you have provided.

Beverage dispense cylinders DO NOT contain oxygen.

They contain either CO2 or a mixture of CO2 + Nitrogen.

The answer however to the OPs question is still NO.

Setting aside the legality of the ownership of the cylinder, the Working Pressure ratings for the cylinders are not suitable for filling to pressures that are required by PCPs.

webber

Evo

I'm sorry but I have to correct part of the information that you have provided.

Beverage dispense cylinders DO NOT contain oxygen.

They contain either CO2 or a mixture of CO2 + Nitrogen.

The answer however to the OPs question is still NO.

Setting aside the legality of the ownership of the cylinder, the Working Pressure ratings for the cylinders are not suitable for filling to pressures that are required by PCPs.

webber

Took the words right out of my mouth, 100% correct

• 2 weeks later...

Basically all cylinders whether for compressed air, CO2 mixtures, Nitrogen, Argon or any other inert gas are the same. Oxygen is the same but there are cleanliness issue though to consider. They are generally all designed to the same standards in the UK. The only difference is the valve and cylinder identification. By the right competent test house any cylinder can be put into any inert gas service once correctly prepared. It is the maximum allowable working pressure of the cylinder which is critical. Dive shops will not fill these cylinders because they are not geared up to do it and quite rightly ere on the safety side. For domestic use swapping cylinders from one gas to another should not be carried out. In the industrial gas industry it is a daily event, but carried out by trained competent operatives.

Edited by birdsallpl