From now on I am staying in bed!!!!!

badsworth

I have spent hours of my life laying up in wait for foxes at ungodly hours.

Last Sunday I was out laying in a ditch at 0530 studying the field opposite my house in the moonlight. At 0740 Mrs Fox comes home from a nights hunting and bang!!!!! Sorted with a 55gr pill from my Steyr Scout!

But this morning at 1020 my wife was making the beds and shouts that there is a fox on the bank opposite my house. Myself and Son #1 race upstairs (me still in my dressing gown) and there was Mr Fox slinking in and out of the bushes 90 yards away. Son shouts for me to get the rifle. I thought “No way is he going to still be there by the time I have been to the cabinet and loaded up†– but I went for the gun anyway. Sure enough a few minutes later and no sign of Charlie – but after a two minute wait out he saunters again and turns sideways on allowing me to take a standing shot with my hand steadied on the window frame. Bye bye Mr Fox.

I think in future I shall be staying in bed and having my wife keep watch out of the window with binoculars. I’ll just get up to pot anything she spots then get back into bed again!

Don’t you just love living in the country!

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

No actually it was pretty mangey - that might be why it was still about at 1020 in the morning. I usually keep the tails but decided I didn't want to touch this one too much.

I think it was the mate of the one I shot last week - she was a first class specimen and a fair bit bigger than the dog fox - which is unusual.

The rifle is a Steyr Scout (in .223) which I am still getting used to, but am so far mighty impressed by.

It is almost two years to the day since two foxes killed our family cat on almost the same spot. In february Foxes tour the area around their 'birthing den' and take out all the predators they can. My cat was unlucky.

Since then I have killed 35 foxes in the surrounding area. The thing is that you take out one fox, and in a few weeks other ones always move in. Most of them are a lot harder to despatch. This one was easy and in a way I did him a favour. Mange is a slow and nasty way to go.

B

And no - that is not my PJs - it is a track suit I shoved on quick. I like to get the tails before rigor mortis sets in.

badsworth you don't fancy putting a pic up of the Steyr Scout do you ? i'm still deciding between the steyr and the tikka :lol:

I'll put a picture of the Steyr on when I have a mo. Tough choice - they are both fine rifles and the Tikka is a very competitive price.

I went for the Steyr because it is lighter and shorter (19" barrel) - but I would have liked it even more if it had a stainless barrel. They are available - but it would be a pecial order and would not come screw threaded so the package would be mighty dear. Good luck with your choice.

B

badsworth you don't fancy putting a pic up of the Steyr Scout do you ? i'm still deciding between the steyr and the tikka :rolleyes:

I'll put a picture of the Steyr on when I have a mo. Tough choice - they are both fine rifles and the Tikka is a very competitive price.

B

As promised - Steyr Scout in .223 with 'Ching Sling' and Swarovski 6-24 x 50 PVI Hi Grid Scope with IR + T8 Mod.

Very Tasty - Unless you're name is Charlie.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

:drool::drool::drool: wish i didnt see that pic! wat dose it shoot like badsworth? what twist is it?

must say there is great satisfaction shootin out he window of the house! have got a fox or two, and a s...load of greycrows and magpies! glad i dont live in a built up area :yes:

Its got a 1 in 9 twist. I'm sure it won't like the really light rounds (like 40gr) - but it shoots well (under 1" groups at 100 yards) with all the factory ammo I have tried in 50 gr and 55 gr - even the ultra cheap American Eagle stuff.

I'm just about to start home loading 55gr Hornady v Max bullets and hope to get really tight groups. Later on I shall try some heavier bullets 62gr and maybe 69gr, but really the 55gr seems to do all I want.

The round used here was a 55gr Federal V Shock (Ballistic Tip) and as someone says above, it looks like it was hit with an RPG.

:D:/:lol: wish i didnt see that pic! wat dose it shoot like badsworth? what twist is it?

must say there is great satisfaction shootin out he window of the house! have got a fox or two, and a s...load of greycrows and magpies! glad i dont live in a built up area :lol:

Its got a 1 in 9 twist. I'm sure it won't like the really light rounds (like 40gr) - but it shoots well (under 1" groups at 100 yards) with all the factory ammo I have tried in 50 gr and 55 gr - even the ultra cheap American Eagle stuff.

I'm just about to start home loading 55gr Hornady v Max bullets and hope to get really tight groups. Later on I shall try some heavier bullets 62gr and maybe 69gr, but really the 55gr seems to do all I want.

The round used here was a 55gr Federal V Shock (Ballistic Tip) and as someone says above, it looks like it was hit with an RPG.

the hornady 55gr vmax is deadly on foxes. glad it shoots good cos it sure is a looker! is the barrel floating? dose it shoot the same point of aim on/off the bi pod?