FAC application help

Hi guys, iv being granted my SGC at beginning of this year with noproblems. I was thinking of appliying for my fac at the end of year. I have lots of previous experience with full bore rifles and genral firearms. I have 2 permissions that would both be suitable for the .22 than im after.

My question is would this be enough to satisfie the firearms staff on my application or would thay want to see me enrolled in a shooting club ??

Thanks

I never joined a shooting club, but like yourself had experience with full bore rifles and .22rf. my first app was granted for .22rf and 243win on 12 acres, all shooting to take place from high seats due to lack of back stops and a public bridal way alongside.

If you got it for club use, it would be conditioned for target use only, so don't do that.

A friend of mine has just been granted 22LR for pest control, and 223 for fox, on a smallholding of 11 acres. If you can show good reason for a 22LR, then go for it

Provided you can show good reason to own a firearm and land suitable for that calibre then you shouldn't have any problems. Dont put down for any target shooting. What you want to put down for will be pest and vermin control and all legal quarry for the calibres you want.

Would I be best putting in for 17Hmr at the same time

Yes. Also anything else you fancy. FAC air is a easy slot to get, and if you don't fill it you can do a free 1 for 1 variation for a bigger calibre.

Remember to ask for moderators separately for each firearm.

The .17HMR and .223 compliment each other well, they both sound similar with moderators, the .223 just has more recoil and goes straighter for longer. .17HMR ammo works out around 18p per round using Hornady V-Max, and .223 around 55p per round using PPU SP, but premium ammo is much more expensive, at around £1 per round :oops: I have .17HMR for general vermin, and .223 for fox, on around 55 acres, and they work well.

If you apply for FAC air, .22LR, .17HMR, and .223, the FAC air is most likely to get approved, the .223 the least likely. If you have the land, and a good reason, then they can't really reject you. There's a bit of skullduggery going round in some police forces, regarding "mentoring" conditions, particularly where centerfire rifles are involved, but you should be OK.

If you intend to hunt at night, and if they ask why you want both .22LR and .17HMR, just say that you want to mount a NV scope on the .22LR for night use, and a day scope on the .17HMR, in order to avoid losing zeroes caused by constant removal of scopes. Plus the .22LR is quieter, so more suited to night use anyway. In hindsight, it's what I should have done.

Hi Dunnin...

Well to say I have the biggest **** of an FEO is understatement of the year!! I come under Thames Valley, and he made sure it took the full 60 working days quoted on website to grant my SGC. I have now, well 6 weeks ago, put in for my FAC, they cashed the cheque in week one, and even now, yesterday being the start of the 7th week, I am still waiting for the phone call for interview and inspection. I know 4 others who have applied to Thames Valley, all with different FEO's 1 got his license 6 weeks from application to license landing on door mat, 1 has his interview 3 weeks after applying and the other 2 were 5 weeks from application to inspection and I guess it will be two further weeks for their license so 7 weeks for them!! Everytime I ring I get the fob off of how it's been sent to FEO and nothing more they can do. I ring FEO he says he hasn't got it and internal post takes 2 weeks. Then he decided to sod off on holiday for two weeks, so it looks like another 3 month wait for me! I think at the end of the day, it's all down to your inspecting FEO!! I'm thinking of making a complaint about mine after I get the license as 3 months is pathetic and really taking the peeeee, especially as I already have SGC, am CRB and CTC checked for work, no convictions etc etc......Good luck......

Hi Dunnin...

Well to say I have the biggest **** of an FEO is understatement of the year!! I come under Thames Valley, and he made sure it took the full 60 working days quoted on website to grant my SGC. I have now, well 6 weeks ago, put in for my FAC, they cashed the cheque in week one, and even now, yesterday being the start of the 7th week, I am still waiting for the phone call for interview and inspection. I know 4 others who have applied to Thames Valley, all with different FEO's 1 got his license 6 weeks from application to license landing on door mat, 1 has his interview 3 weeks after applying and the other 2 were 5 weeks from application to inspection and I guess it will be two further weeks for their license so 7 weeks for them!! Everytime I ring I get the fob off of how it's been sent to FEO and nothing more they can do. I ring FEO he says he hasn't got it and internal post takes 2 weeks. Then he decided to sod off on holiday for two weeks, so it looks like another 3 month wait for me! I think at the end of the day, it's all down to your inspecting FEO!! I'm thinking of making a complaint about mine after I get the license as 3 months is pathetic and really taking the peeeee, especially as I already have SGC, am CRB and CTC checked for work, no convictions etc etc......Good luck......

Mine took 5 months, from filling in the application to getting the certificate in the post. They claimed various problems, such as staff shortages, computer issues, and that renewals are given priority over grants. It's frustrating because they hold all of the cards, and there's nothing you can do, pestering often making things worse.