Pigeon Canker

David BASC

BASC has received reports from the Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA) and Defra of large numbers of dead pigeons being found due to outbreaks of trichomoniasis (canker) in the UK.

The VLA has recorded cases over the last four months in Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Wiltshire and Suffolk.

The latest report concerned Newcastle-on-Tyne where 60 birds were reported dead from trichomoniasis in December. This disease can occur in large flocks of pigeons and is more prevalent in the autumn and winter.

What is trichomoniasis?

Trichomoniasis is a protozoan parasite of the digestive tract and has been endemic in pigeons in the UK for some time. The disease is also known as 'pigeon canker'. This reflects the fact that pigeons and doves appear the most susceptible to this disease and are the main carriers. Young birds appear more susceptible than adults. Other species of birds, including other garden birds, game birds and raptors may also be affected. Trichomoniasis is bird specific, and does not pass on to mammals, including humans.

How is the disease spread?

The infection is thought to be spread via food or drinking water freshly contaminated with saliva or (possibly) droppings from an infected bird.

What are the signs of trichomoniasis?

• Mouth open

• Drooling and repeated swallowing movements.

• Loss of condition

• Watery eyes in some birds

• Nervous symptoms (rare)

• Post-mortem lesions: yellow plaques and raised cheesy masses in mouth, pharynx, oesophagus, crop and proventriculus

Trichomoniasis causes lesions in the throat of the infected bird which makes it progressively harder for the bird to swallow its food, and eventually to breathe. The infected bird will eventually die of starvation or possibly choking.

What should I do if I find dead birds which show signs of trichomoniasis?

If BASC members find five or more of dead pigeons in the same area which show signs of trichomoniasis they can inform Defra by calling 08459 33 55 77.

Could this affect game bird rearing?

Trichomoniasis predominately affects pigeons but the disease can also affect game birds. Affected birds become depressed and pass yellow, frothy caecal droppings. Good biosecurity measures such as getting rid of any stagnant water and not overcrowding gamebirds should be effective in controlling the condition.

Can I continue to eat the pigeons I shoot?

If the bird shows signs of trichomoniasis, such as loss of condition and lesions within its mouth, it is not advisable to eat it. If in doubt, contact BASC for advice.

For more information contact Dr Peter Marshall from BASC’s Research Department on 01244 573016

Not surprised that you gus are on the ball- I would expect nothing less!

Sorry if this just looks like a repeat but greater numbers of dead birds are being reported by the general public. (all sorts - not just pigeons)

This is mainly (I am sure) due to the higher awareness of the public about dead birds after the Bird Flu outbreak....having said that if you guys start seeing numbers of dead or sick pigeons you know what to do.

Best wishes

David

The only pigeons I'm finding dead around here are full of lead :drool: What worries me (slightly) is that with all of us who are out and about in the woods and fields every day/night how come we're not seeing lots of dead birds??? :drool: I don't count the odd report on here that someone's found the odd dead pigeon or one that looks sick as that could be from any number of causes. But this report says 'lots' and quotes 60 etc etc so who's finding them and what are the circumstances. I'm just not prepared to take these things at face value (and I don't think BASC should either) as there are too many 'vested' interests involved in spoiling our shooting.

I think I posted last October that I was finding dead and very weak woodpigeon, and had been doing since late summer. This continued all until about Christmas. There were never dozens but to see three or four on a walk round was not unusual and over the winter it certainly added up. From the description one or two definately had canker.

Dear All,

I agree that none of us should take things at face value- we must always base decisions on fact and not emotion.

However, as responsible shooters we must all do our bit - and as the 'man from BASC' registeded on this site I will aways try to keep you all up to date with anything of interest.

I have not seen any dead pigeons (apart from the shot ones!) here in Cheshire either.

Nor for that matter do I come accross lots of other dead birds, as I am sure none of you do. When birds do die of natuaral causes they(obviously) fall to the ground - and lets face it most birds are well camoflaged against birds of prey etc so I guess you or I could walk past a sparrow etc on the gound and not notice it!

Keep up the safe and responsible shooting guys.

Best wishes

David

I think I posted last October that I was finding dead and very weak woodpigeon, and had been doing since late summer. This continued all until about Christmas. There were never dozens but to see three or four on a walk round was not unusual and over the winter it certainly added up. From the description one or two definately had canker.

I shot one yesterday that appeared to have a small crusty caking of something on its throat. It was maybe the size of a finger nail. Anyway its in the freezer now so hopefully its safe to eat. Anyone know what it might be?