Buying a used semi auto

gary wye

Baikel mp154 semi auto multi choke 3 1/2" chamber for at a high price £300 I got mine for £150 never once missed a beat cycles all the cartridges ive put in it, its a little weighty at around 8lbs but if its mostly pigeon shooting you will be thankful of the weight as it keeps the recoil down massively

+1 for the Baikal MP153.

Cycles anything down to 28g, seemingly irrespective of cartridge length.

It appears to be a very fussy on length for 24g loads - doesn't like 67mm, but will cycle 70mm.

As SW says above, they're a bit heavy (especially if you add a little ballast under the recoil pad to bring the balance back to somewhere sensible), but if you're not doing walked-up shooting, they soak up recoil wonderfully.

Tough as old boots as well.

You should be able to get one plus a slab of cartridges for your £300 budget.

I can only recommend those I have experience of really. Once had a clunky old Breda with external chokes, which was a cracking little gun ( should have kept it as my 'rough' gun for doing my rounds on the feeders etc) the Browning 2000 was a lovely gun also, as are the old Beretta A300 series, but my current one is a Winchester 1500 XTR, which is my hide gun and too good to knock about doing the rounds. I must confess I am really smitten with the Baikel MP153 though, and regret not having a go with one when I first saw them at Malmo a couple of year or so ago. If they have actually come down in price as much as others say, then I may have to have one. Second hand never bothers me, and even more so being a Baikel.

Play around with as many as get chance to; there are some lovely autos out there.

Forgot to mention the Franchi 720 I bought for my nephew when he was a kid. Very under-rated.

Edited by Scully