Wanted: Rabbit / fox shooting to tag along

Ello folks,

Hopefully someone in the Worcestershire area might be able to help me out...

I've been shooting for nearly 8 years and recently requested for my ticket to be opened up on my .22lr and my .308 rifles but was advised by West Mercia that I'd "not been shooting long enough" for them to be able to justify opening my ticket but if I could get some more experience with some other shooters they would consider it.

I'd be looking to tag a long and if possible take a few shots if possible so the question is would any of you be willing to help me out so that I can document it and evidence that I'm gaining yet more experience?

Cheers,

Iain

I'm confused by it Davyo - They're basically saying I don't have enough experience as a whole but if I can evidence that I've been out with more experienced shots they'll happily do it.

In the last 8 years I've probably put some 20k+ rounds through 22's and and around 3k through the 308...

This is very confusing, I can only assume all those rounds or a great number of them were fired on the range? If so then this is to be expected. 3000 rounds of .308 is a lot of deer even over 8yrs its a case of deer daily and like 20k + of .22 is 50 head of vermin a week! Hence we haven't got the full tale I suspect.

Under range conditions you have a recognised firing point, recognised backstop / butts and an RO or two looking out, field conditions are very different.

I'm confused by it Davyo - They're basically saying I don't have enough experience as a whole but if I can evidence that I've been out with more experienced shots they'll happily do it.

In the last 8 years I've probably put some 20k+ rounds through 22's and and around 3k through the 308...

2500 rimfire rounds a year, i would contact BASC mate

Apologies Kent - Thought I'd made it clear that I was trying to get my ticket opened up. I have done one guided stalk which was all recorded and want to pursue the 'sport' further but it's a catch 22... Can't get more experience to be able to pursue it.

Matt at BASC had already said it shouldn't be an issue requesting what I am even from a ticket that was originally restricted to a range.

Apologies Kent - Thought I'd made it clear that I was trying to get my ticket opened up. I have done one guided stalk which was all recorded and want to pursue the 'sport' further but it's a catch 22... Can't get more experience to be able to pursue it.

Matt at BASC had already said it shouldn't be an issue requesting what I am even from a ticket that was originally restricted to a range.

you don't need an open ticket to shoot alone, you need the land inspecting for the calibre you wish to use on it and a licence that includes that particular use ie "the.22 lr may be used for shooting vermin" Open only means you can assess the land as suitable. Getting an accompanied or mentored condition is down to the FEO in question and the forces policy, often doing DSC1 helps, though a well worded latter from a person who has accompanied you helps. Personally speaking I shouldn't pass comment to the Police on a person I had guided just the once.

In general (there are always exceptions) you wont get an open until a full 3 yrs or a full 5 yrs of unaccompanied field use (some area more and some far less). accompanied conditions are not a closed cert they are a special condition that can be added or removed based on info received, I have got two persons through without an accompanied condition in two different areas that are known to be keen on it not long back but it was based on many more accompanied visits and chats. Few pay for the day stalking venues will let unqualified or inexperienced stalker out unaccompanied and the cops know that full well, the .22 lr is an easier matter but do you have land.

Make it totally clear if you have land or want to visit another shooters land and were you will travel to and I am sure someone will step up and help you get a few more trips in

Thanks Kent - The problem I have is I've got access to 450+ acres with the pheasant syndicate (explained to the FEO) I'm in but none of the other members hold an FAC.

I'm willing to travel around Worcestershire / Shropshire area (and further) to help gain the experience and learn from others hence asking the good people of PW for some help.

Cheers,

Iain

Edited by NeverReady

Now firstly I cant, its too far . Is it however possible that your syndicate can give their consent for your potential mentor to come to you? If your using the gun? (or) If they use theirs and teach you?

Its a lot quicker to get a mentor if your not asking to shoot their patch at the same time you see? I was lucky years back as the word mentor was never spoken but I once had a guy come stalking with me when I first started stalking deer on the proviso I drove 40 miles south to pick him up and then North again to stalk and it cost him nothing with lunch thrown in and a trip back home. I am forever grateful for the help he gave and think I got the best side of the deal.

Ello folks,

Hopefully someone in the Worcestershire area might be able to help me out...

I've been shooting for nearly 8 years and recently requested for my ticket to be opened up on my .22lr and my .308 rifles but was advised by West Mercia that I'd "not been shooting long enough" for them to be able to justify opening my ticket but if I could get some more experience with some other shooters they would consider it.

I'd be looking to tag a long and if possible take a few shots if possible so the question is would any of you be willing to help me out so that I can document it and evidence that I'm gaining yet more experience?

Cheers,

Iain

I think after 8 years I'd be contacting my shooting organisation. Sounds extremely unreasonable to me.

Now firstly I cant, its too far . Is it however possible that your syndicate can give their consent for your potential mentor to come to you? If your using the gun? (or) If they use theirs and teach you?

Its a lot quicker to get a mentor if your not asking to shoot their patch at the same time you see? I was lucky years back as the word mentor was never spoken but I once had a guy come stalking with me when I first started stalking deer on the proviso I drove 40 miles south to pick him up and then North again to stalk and it cost him nothing with lunch thrown in and a trip back home. I am forever grateful for the help he gave and think I got the best side of the deal.

I'm seeing the shoot captain this weekend and was going to run that suggestion past him... It seems much harder these days unless you know or have the right contacts.

I got very lucky getting the spot on the syndicate and just happened to be browsing guns on pegs and the advert had gone live minutes before I'd phone the chap up.