fac question

i recieved my fac and sgc nearly a month ago with only fac air on it as i wasn't deemed to have enough experience for rimfire. glos firearms licensing team said to gain experience with my fac air then apply again for rimfire .

how long do people think i should wait for my first variation for a rimfire rifle ?

The problem with FAC air is you have no proof of how much you are actually using it as you don't have ammo entered onto your cert.

You could spend more time in the field in one month than some people do in a year but you've got no way of proving it.

What is deemed reasonable is down to your FEO. 6, 9, 12 months?...

I think your best bet is to spend some time at a club and gain some real experience of rimfires. I don't think a fac air can teach you much more than a 12 ftlbs air rifle....

To answer your question directly 6 months to a year I would GUESS. Given you have suitable land this seems a stupid decision if you have 'good reason' I dont see how they can refuse a .22 rimfire - once upon a time there were no FAC air and rimfire was the starting point - I was allowed one at 20 with no experience except shotguns. More unnecessary controls.

Take pictures of when you go and what you shoot! The pictures will have a time/date thus a viewable record.

Condition's are not time dependant as each case is deemed on its own merit....once experience has been gained.

Use the Firearms law to you advantage.....

Essex had a 5 year cap on opening up tickets, which went with a renewal, mine was 14 months from being issued.

You just have to swing the lead in the right direction..........

TEH

They're just messing with you because they can. The people you need to be asking is them. Ask them how you keep a log of how much shooting you do and what they will accept as proof, because you can bet anything you can spend the next 6 months doing it one way only for them to turn around and say that's not satisfactory. Get it in writing. There's nothing specifying this in law as far as I'm aware, and all is open to interpretation by each force and each forces individuals, so get it in writing.

They're just messing with you because they can. The people you need to be asking is them. Ask them how you keep a log of how much shooting you do and what they will accept as proof, because you can bet anything you can spend the next 6 months doing it one way only for them to turn around and say that's not satisfactory. Get it in writing. There's nothing specifying this in law as far as I'm aware, and all is open to interpretation by each force and each forces individuals, so get it in writing.

page 230 of HM GL 2013

Forces must ensure that where additional conditions are applied to certificates, that they are kept to a minimum and are only applied where they are both proportionate and necessary.

Where the firearm is authorised for more than one purpose, care must be taken to omit the word ‘only’ in the conditions.

An asterisk conditions specific firearms on a certificate but may be replaced by the phrase, "The firearms and ammunition….." where a single condition applies to all firearms (and ammunition) on the certificate.

1. Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)

• The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall only be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

(The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

TEH

page 230 of HM GL 2013

Forces must ensure that where additional conditions are applied to certificates, that they are kept to a minimum and are only applied where they are both proportionate and necessary.

Where the firearm is authorised for more than one purpose, care must be taken to omit the word only in the conditions.

An asterisk conditions specific firearms on a certificate but may be replaced by the phrase, "The firearms and ammunition.." where a single condition applies to all firearms (and ammunition) on the certificate.

1. Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)

The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall only be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

(The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits).

TEH

Fair enough. Whether its mere guidance or law the OP still needs to enquire of his force what they regard as 'demonstrated competence' . Unless this is stipulated somehwere then its still open to interpretation, by either the FEO or higher. Get it in writing.